Thursday, June 02, 2005

Beatles White Album
Is what I listened to for 40 minutes all the way to work this morning. What a great bunch of music that is. Hearing their voices is so comforting, gives me such a good feeling of my past and who I am. No bad memories, no bad feelings. Doesn't matter where or who I was when I was listening to that music, it's just the Beatles and they were wonderful. So I like that album.

I needed something nice in the car after yesterday's experience at my annual gynecological exam. I went to someone new. I've seen about 5 different people in the past 10 years--they keep leaving for different jobs. This woman is very nice and I like her, but she asked if a medical student could participate in the exam too. Sure, you have to let these people learn on someone. He was ok but it took forever--a long involved interview with long emotional discussion about endometriosis. I don't like talking about it, it turns out. He wanted to know about the pain I had with it. I had blocked that out, and dredging up that part of my life, those 10 years, made me cry. Great. Then began the exam. Each part that he did she had to repeat to make sure his conclusions were correct. OK, I can handle that. Until we got to the pap and the speculuum. He tried all three sizes and couldn't get it right, each time it was really painful and miserable, so she finally took over and bingo bango boingo it was over. I think I convinced him that gynecology is not for him. Or maybe he just needs more practice. She was really apologetic and felt terrible. But I felt worse. Anyway, the whole thing took an hour, but I did talk about my fears that my endometriosis is back (not likely, since I post-menopausal, having stopped taking hormones three years ago). Firm instructions to have a colonoscopy to identify the discomfort/pain I have that I thought was endometriosis. Yes, I need to reschedule it. Was supposed to have it just before Henry died, cancelled it last year & never set it up again, too many things have interfered.

So my ride home from Vermont was endless, even though the ferry ride was beautiful, a glide on a glassy lake. I needed to get home and put all of those memories behind me, to plant myself in my present and not my past. I had to stop at the pet store and get dog food and water conditioner (for the gups). I looked at the huge array of things for fish but bought nothing. Pondered the notion of getting another fish, now that I'm down to 3. Decided 3 is a good number and maybe that's how many I was meant to have. Don't mess with a good thing. Felt bad for the betta fish they have, each sulking alone in tiny bowls. Humans are unkind to animals, as a rule. Even though fish aren't really animals.

Last night was very festive, salmon dinner at Linda's for the Balto women, Bill, Ken and me. We had a really nice time. It was warm enough to spend lots of time on her porch, which is about 3 feet from the lake. We sat there long after dinner, listening to the peepers. We could identify at least 3 different frogs. Nice.

Couldn't sleep last night, for the 3rd night. Woke at 5 AGAIN, after only about 4 hours of sleep. Was planning to meet people in Elizabethtown to barcode their collection, so didn't leave for work on time, but discovered the barcoding trip had been cancelled so was an hour late for work. As long as I was going to be late I took the dogs for a very nice walk. That Tess is sooooo cute! She loves going for a walk in a group. Jackson sort of struggles to keep up but he loves going for walks. Chances determines the pace and is pretty much in charge (well, of course I'm the Alpha, but I don't go running off into the woods, I stay on the road). But Tess goes back and forth between Chances and me, tail held high and wagging. Very sweet.

It's hot and sunny now, due to get hotter as days progress. I think on Saturday I should go to camp and set up the boat house so I can spend the night there. Sunday is a brunch in Plattsburgh with Ken and Bill at a real restaurant, a nice break from our usual routine. Friday night Linda, Erdvilas, Bill and I are going out to dinner. Tonight Ken and I are each having a load of wood delivered (4 cords). I have to figure out exactly where I want it dumped. Life is full and good.

I just ran spellcheck on this. The only match you get for Erdvilas is hardboiled. Somehow that seems strangely appropriate.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry your gyno student was so incompetent. I once had somebody practice taking my blood. An all-around BAD idea. Isn't it supposed to be cheaper if they are just practicing or just watching?

    Colonoscopy YUCK. "They" have decided we all ought to have this done. I suppose we all will, eventually. On the other hand, it can save your life, and that is one thing you are enjoying right now.

    Glad the guppies are gupping and the dogs are dogging, the Kens are kenning, etc. Have a good season.

    Love you. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete