Tuesday, June 07, 2005

WHEW!
If last week was any indication of what the summer is going to be like, it'll be a complicated and busy one. Linda and Erdvilas were here, and Bill was at camp a lot. I saw L & E pretty much every night, was at Ken's every evening to treat his eye, and had a complicated weekend. It went from spring to summer in 3 days. There are now leaves on all the trees, the bunchberry is in bloom, which signals the end of the spring season and the beginning of summer. Trillium is going buy and it's time to search for ladies slippers. I have spent the first night of the season in the boat house and the loons were making a HUGE amount of noise at the head of the lake. There were at least two of them and I think there may have been three.

Big news in my neighborhood is that there was a sighting of a moose and her calf just down the road from Fred's camp, about a quarter of a mile from our camp. They left hoof prints to prove their existence to those who did not see them. This is really cool and makes me look all over the place whenever I go out. Moose have a range of at least 50 miles, according to the wildlife biologist I called when I saw moose tracks in the bog a few years ago. I want to see one, really want to see one. I've only seen one at a distance, with Jenica and Jamie once on the way to Burlington.

So the weekend went like this:
Friday night out to dinner with Linda, Erdvilas and Bill at our new favorite restaurant. Although it was a whole lot of fun, I was feeling quiet and subdued. Everyone said it was because I was tired but I don't really know what it was. Maybe the union elections, maybe I was just worn out by the constant social activities of the week. We'd had a big Wednesday night dinner at Linda's. Anyway, dinner was delicious and we had a grand time and spent $200. Plenty of wine, appetizers and of course dessert. After dinner I went back to L & E's, got a jar of Manhattans and went to Ken's with them to treat his eye and visit. Then, finally, home.
Saturday morning I got up at 7:30, picked Lin up at 9 after a quick visit with her dogs and Ralph, plus a tour of her gardens. We went plant shopping at the last greenhouse on our list, one of the ones we really like. I bought some plants for me and some plants to take to the people whose gardens my dogs gravitate to when they escape. They had been there earlier in the week and I had received my second frantic, rather angry phone call of this year telling me my dogs were there, wrecking their garden. I wasn't home to receive the call, I was driving around looking for the dogs. After dropping Lin off I took the plants to said neighbors' house. They live behind a locked gate, so I walked in, carrying the plants. Jim said, "Is this a woman bearing a peace offering?" You bet, I said. They have no electricity, rely on a generator and solar power--by choice. We had a long visit, talking a lot about the dog they just adopted (two years after their beloved old dog died), who was abused, is 7 months old and beautiful but nips. They are working very hard and spending a lot of money trying to turn her into a sweet, sociable dog. She is sweet and may come around eventually. I really like the dog but sure wouldn't want to take her on as a project. Since these people are retired and relatively young they can do this. They told me a lot about their political beliefs, that the problem with the world is overpopulation, the planet is taxed beyond its capability. Everyone with one child should have an abortion when they get pregnant (OK, not quite that bad, but close). She kept saying she used to be a religionist. So that gives you some idea of what talking to her is like. I think she's pretty lonely for company, living the lifestyle he's chosen for them--he calls if "off the grid." But they're very nice and almost forgave me for my dogs bad behavior. He wants me to build a pen for my dogs. They gave me a tour of their gardens, which are totally suburban in design. Tulips in a perfect circle, flowers in neat rows. Just what we in the North Country hate to see. I give them credit, though, they are trying to cover up the scars that building in the woods makes. They planted 25 rosa rugosa bushes (which didn't look as if they took the winters too well) lining their driveway. I was really envious of those. The smell must be really wonderful, like the smell walking to the beach at Liza's.
Saturday night I STAYED HOME.
Sunday Linda, Erd., Bill, Ken and I went to a brunch in Plattsburgh. It was really good but a lot, lot, lot of food. After brunch I came to the library to get the car for my trip on Monday. Then I drove to Wilmington to meet up with book group people (only Martha showed up), then to Lin's camp for our meeting. We read Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons, a bit of a disappointment. The three of us had a grand time together, but ate way too much. After that I went to Ken's to treat his eye, then I went home at last, home at last, thank god almighty home at last.
Yesterday I drove to Canton to a network meeting about the interlibrary loan software we use in the region. I really like the people at the meeting so we had fun. Went to a great Chinese restaurant with a wonderful buffet afterwards, then came home. Started to mow my lawn at last, having borrowed Lin's wonderful, powerful, huge, self-propelled mower (as mine is still not functioning, will not function until after the 9th, when the new part is due). Of course it started to rain. HUGE disappointment.
Went to Ken's for a drink (man am I getting tired of drinking) and to treat his eye (getting tired of doing that, too). Went home, sweet home.
It's been very hot, 80's, and 60 at night. Nearly slept in the boat house last night, but for some reason there's no power at camp so it's all by candlelight in the boat house. Not really a problem but a complication. Since I had to come to work today I opted for staying home. Of course, new episodes of Six Feet Under and Entourage were the main enticements.

And today I'm at my desk, trying to figure out how I can take tomorrow off. Both clerks will be out, on their way to Geneva for a conference. Although it will be really nice to be here without them, it's supposed to be 70 and sunny, a perfect day, and I can mow my lawn. Tomorrow night I'm having dinner with Ken and Ann Hord Coste. She's now a caterer and is cooking for us. She seems to be rather proprietary about Ken, which is fine with me. She brought him a bunch of food yesterday and told him exactly how to cook it (including frozen French fries). He was really pleased and loved the food. I love it when people pay attention to him so welcome any such activity.

And now I must gas up the library car and fill some bookmobile requests, while at home one guppy is languishing and seems to be trying to die. Each time I try to scoop her up with the net she goes into denial and swims furiously to the top of the bowl, circling madly. Die, Darbert, die.

2 comments:

  1. That's the only time I ever saw a moose, too. I WANT TO SEE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. me see moose. My kids used to say, "Hi, Mr. Moose, want a bite?" after some cartoon in which a cartoon animal says that to a huge cartoon moose.

    French fries for a 90-year-old? What is she thinking? Does she feel proprietary enough to put drops in his eyes?

    Ah, the boathouse by candle-light. Electric would be better.

    Your solar neighbors sound WEIRD. Religionist, indeed.

    ReplyDelete