Monday, January 30, 2006

If you have a lot of time to kill, check out the Bloggies--

http://2006.bloggies.com/


I don't have enough time right now, am way behind in my cataloging, plus have a meeting I'm supposed to be at now. oops. Must write (still) assessments for my clerks, plus write my self-assessment for 2005. Nasty stuff, that. Have to stock new books on the bookmobile, new duty added to my roster with the new bookmobile.

My weekend was perhaps one of the most unproductive I've ever had. I went to a party (what? me? a party?) Friday night. I have a friend who calls me periodically, inviting me to his house or his camp for gatherings. I have gone to a couple of these, but mostly I decline for one reason or another. This time I thought I should really accept, so after grocery shopping and stopping at Ken's I went to Peter and Marta's camp on Union Falls (the next lake over). There were 10 of us. Peter had plowed the long road down to the camp and there was a nice fire going to keep us all warm. There camp is more like a house, though it's still campy. It was a really interesting group of people--all from the neighborhood. I knew a few of them but they all knew me, which I find mystifying and entertaining. "Oh yes, I know you." You do? I guess I have a certain amount of notoriety as the woman who lives alone in the woods. Or something. Anyway, I had a a nice enough time but didn't stay very late, was home by 11. I've gotten so I can go to these things alone without really minding.

Saturday I did pretty much nothing, barely even bringing in wood. It was a sunny warm day, very nice, and I meant to take a walk, but somehow staying on the couch was much more inviting. Although I got up at 6:30, I napped off & on all day. I watched a DVD of The L Word, which is a Showtime series about a group of lesbians in Los Angeles (of course). I really like the series, watched the first season last year and have waited for the second season to be released on DVD. It's pretty goofy, really, not very realistic (of course they all live in amazing places and have plenty of time to spend hanging out drinking coffee together--it's unclear how they find the money for this), but I like eavesdropping and spying on other women's lives, even when they're made up.

Yesterday I was more productive, but had little time at home. I talked to my mother for a while. Her life has finally settled into a post-holiday routine and she will be fine for the month, then I'll visit her for her birthday in March. I went to Sunday dinner, where Ken and Bill gave me a present: a motion-activated digital camera that you mount outside to see what kind of wildlife is hanging around your house. I had mentioned this to them before Christmas, that I had seen it at Gander Mountain (store) so sweet Bill went there and bought one for me. Now I have to figure out how to set it up and where to mount it. Ken was very definite about where he thought I should put it (by my bird feeder) so I'll have to try it there first, to please him. It has a flash and of course you would try it at night. Should be interesting, a really nifty toy.

Had book group last night. Our book was Sweetwater, which was really not that great a book. Her first husband was bipolar (rang a bit too true for me) and killed himself so she married the first man to come along after that, then fell in love with his brother. It was supposed to be about the Adirondacks, and there was some good stuff about the family camp her 2nd husband took her too, and some good stuff about his parents, but this forest fire came along and they paddled out into the lake to escape it, where a mountain lion swam past them. We all agreed the book was weak, very weak. Of course the highlight of the whole meeting was Eva Stahl, who is 2 weeks old and behaved beautifully as she was passed around so we could each hold her. Martha was wonderful to share her with us. She is a beautiful baby.

And today I'm back at work, puzzled by the huge piles of things demanding my attention. I'm lost and don't know where to begin. It's so easy to just catalog stuff all day--a job that needs doing, something I know how to do and is challenging yet routine enough to be comfortable. But the other things need to be done, too, and are really what my professional self tells me I should be doing. I'm putting together a book order, but I've buried the work I've done on that and will have to dig it out. I hate digging things out.

Blogging will not help me decide which task to undertake next.

1 comment:

  1. Your penultimate paragraph...sounds like me.

    What I want to do: catalog stuff. What I should do: this other (puzzling) stuff piled on my desk.

    groan

    ReplyDelete