Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Wonderland

It was really beautiful last night. On the way home from work I saw an incredible meteor streak across the sky, right in front of me, over Whiteface Mountain. It was a huge ball of fire with a long, long tail. I smile and said out loud, "How cool is that!" I like exclamations I make when I'm alone or just with my dogs.

While I was sitting in the living room the dogs were outside, on the deck and they were barking and barking their alarm barks (as in "Someone's there, threatening our safety, coming to get us, we must do something hurry hurry hurry maybe we can scare them away but please get out here and help us do something"). This went on for a long time so I finally went outside to see what noises they were barking at. It was dead silent for a few moments, then there was a soft, gentle moaning: the ice, very quietly was moaning. Too quiet to record (sorry, Molly), just the slightest hint of sound. Not another sound in the world. How lucky am I?

This morning the sunrise was spectacular. Deep orange-red rising along the horizon over trees covered in rime ice along the river. Truly spectacular. No, really--just amazing, stretching for miles. Enough to make you ache for all its beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment