Friday, January 20, 2006

Interruptions

I interrupted 4 does having a conversation in the middle of the road this morning on my way to work. They looked hysterical, all four noses together smack in the middle of the road in the middle of the wilderness. When I reported this to my clerks they said the girls were saying "Which way should we go? I want to go this way." "No, I want to go that way!" "Boy that buck sure looks funny with only one antler, doesn't he!" When they saw me (the deer, not the clerks) they gave me such a collective nasty look before they turned, two in one direction and two in the other and bounded into the woods. It was a really nice interplay first thing in the morning.

Then I passed a house I drive by twice a day and noticed that it's barn red with pale yellow trim, the same exact colors of a skirt my sister crocheted for me when I was a freshman in college. It was a short skirt (we wore REALLY short skirts then) and I wore it with a pale yellow turtleneck and pale yellow tights. I looked really pretty in it (I was waaaay skinny then). I wore it to a New Year's Eve party with my then-fiance. I was really nervous about going to the party, it was his parents' friends and his parents did not approve of our relationship--in fact his father refused to speak to him because of me--but I found comfort being enveloped in something that my sister had made for me. Family can be so supportive, no?

And now I must have a department meeting, as requested by the clerks. Since they were barely speaking to each other earlier this week, I'm apprehensive about what they want to bring up at this meeting, but they do seem to be pretty jovial today. Let's hope for the best. I'm feeling good: tomorrow I'm having my stove pipes cleaned. YES YES YES! This morning when I put wood in the stove smoke poured out of the elbow connecting the indoor stove pipe to the outdoor stove pipe--enough to set off the smoke detector. Although I'm relieved to know the smoke detector is effective (an Efffective Detector), this is not acceptable behavior for a stove pipe. So I can have a fire to warm me tonight but tomorrow morning I will be chilly until 11:30, when Jerry comes to ream out my pipes. that sounds gross. What will come out of the pipes will BE gross. Last year he came when I wasn't home so I didn't get to talk to him about my set up, so I'm looking forward to talking with him. You know, like when you take your pet to the vet, or your baby to the doctor. How's it really doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment