Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Relatively simple

is how my life really is, made up of semi-complex mini-things. This morning I couldn't sleep past 5, even though I didn't have to be at work until 8:30 so had set the alarm for 7 and didn't go to sleep until after midnight. Last night I allowed myself the luxury of watching both Jon Steward AND Steven Colbert. The dogs stirred and fussed from 5 until 6. Apparently I breathe differently when I'm awake than I do when I'm asleep because they knew I was lying awake in the darkness and stood up, walked around, flopped down and did a lot of nudging. I got up at 6 and was showered, fire-set, dogs-set, dressed and ready to go by 6:30. I went down to the hole/pit in the ground that is my cellar and unplugged the electric heater, since the sump pump is running pretty regularly. I cleverly put a piece of foamboard insulation between the offensively spraying hose and the heater and climbed back up the ladder safely and cheerily. I love solving problems. And I love even more getting out of my basement.

I left the house with plenty of time to drive the treacherous roads, have my blood taken and get to work in time to leave for the barcoding trip to Westport. Slid right across the road at the end of my driveway into a snowbank; managed to dislodge car from that. Clever girl. My road is glare ice, about 3" thick, solid, sheer ice. Cannot walk on it but amazingly I could get to the hardtop by driving with 2 left tires on the edge where there was slush. Well goddamn didn't I just forget the paperwork to go with my blood drawing so I had to walk back the 1/2 mile to my house in the rain to retrieve it. Slipping and sliding, but I was determined. So I made it there and the 1/2 mile uphill back to my car, soaking wet but pleased with myself. I love solving problems.

Everyone on the road was driving verrrry slowly. Even when we got to the good parts, where it was just raining and there was no ice. But I got my bloodwork done, got some coffee at last (bloodwork was done fasting, as always--I hate that!), pre-registered for my Feb. colonoscopy and got to work at 8:27. We cancelled the trip to Westport, since all reports are that the storm is much worse in the southern area. I love my clerks: they lobbied hard and fast to cancel. They're like 2 children tugging at my sleeves, jumping up and down, each giving me another reason why we shouldn't go "And besides..... And besides.... And besides..." So I caved and we didn't go. Instead I scheduled the consultants' meeting I'm convening this month. Whiny professionals instead of whiny clerks. Cannot get away from whiners today. I will solve the problems presented to me at this meeting.

Then I will catalog books. Yesterday I cataloged 25 school yearbooks, high school and college. Made them all serials. Minimal information offered so I was not pleased with the records but the woman who gave me the information is really lazy so what could I do. Records include The Paysonian from SUNY Canton. Why is it called The Paysonian?

No comments:

Post a Comment