Tuesday, October 26, 2010

bog october 2010 016


bog october 2010 016
Originally uploaded by woodsrun
Chances waiting and observing, while Tess does her best imitation of The Flying Dog. Notice her ears. how cute.

The gold trees are tamaracks/larches. They're the last trees to offer color there. People often think tamaracks are fir trees, but they're deciduous. What look like needles are leaves, shed in the fall. They have the most beautiful bright, bright green color (what we used to call Tamarack Green) in the spring.

A friend of mine has a row of big tamaracks in front of her house. Nice. I used to have a bunch of them lining the road by my house, but the town cut them down to make room for the snow plow. How could I argue with that? I need to have the road plowed, but I really minded losing the trees. I'd been watching them grow for many years. They were proud trees. I have a lot of them growing on the north side of the house, where it must be damp, since they like to have their feet wet. I'm watching them get taller. There's one on the south side that's doing really well. It got all bent over from an early snow storm, but I tied it to another tree and it almost points straight to the sky now. I have a great fondness for that tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment