Friday, March 28, 2014

End of the week

It's a rainy Friday, which is a nice change.  We got 2" of snow in Hawkeye this morning and the roads were a real mess.  Apparently the plow operators are as tired o f plowing as we are of winter driving.  Only it doesn't work that way...  Anyway, I made it to work in an hour (as opposed to my usual 35-40 minute drive).  Slow going but that doesn't matter.

I went shopping at lunch time--I have to work until 5, and wanted to get to P&J's earlier than I would if I shopped after work.  My but there are a lot of old(er) people in the grocery store at noon.  Holy cow.  Lots of electric scooters with reckless drivers.  Oh, Elizabeth, don't complain, that might be you some day.

Big storms predicted for the weekend, which doesn't surprise anyone but is still a disappointment.  I'm longing for warm sunny days.  I guess we're supposed to have 8" (or more) of snow, and it will be heavy wet miserable snow.  I forgot how disagreeable the terrain is in early spring.  It's hard to get up my driveway.  Usually in March we have glare ice on driveways--what Ken used to call "like a glass."  That really sucks.  More than once I've had to have help getting out of my driveway to get to RI for Easter.  Shouldn't happen this year, Easter is so late.  We'll see.

I've been fish sitting for my friend's female betta and I've really enjoyed spending time with her.  She's much more interesting than the sullen goldfish I now have at my desk.  My friend will be back on Monday and I'll have to give up the fish.  I call her Nancy.  I haven't even bothered to name my goldfish, that's how grumpy she is.  I went through a long aquarium phase a few years ago, tried to have a 10-gallon tank, with heater, light, etc.  Fish wouldn't last long, and it was difficult to clean the tank so I quit.  Do I miss it?  Not really.  I did like watching the fish, and having different kinds of fish, but then they'd die and I'd be embarrassed and have to buy more.  Now I'm down to a goldfish at work.  I was going to have a goldfish at home but my house is too cold in the winter--I found that out with 2 guppies in a tank with no heater.  Oops, sorry fish.

I finally got my car fixed.  Really fixed. No, really.  I spent 3 hours at the dealer's yesterday while they took apart the front end & fixed the sensor, put it back together then drove it to make sure it was OK.  Yay, it's fine.  Now I can contemplate trading it in and buying a new car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment