Friday, March 14, 2014

Snowy day

It doesn't feel like Friday because we were closed yesterday so I got to spend the day at home.  We had a big storm (I love the drama people assign to these events: it was the 12th biggest storm Burlington has ever seen.  Really?  We're counting all the way to 12?  Doesn't really seem worth mentioning).  We closed early on Weds. and I had a pretty crappy ride home, though I've certainly driven through worse.  Yesterday the storm continued and we ended up with more than a foot of snow, on top of the 2 feet we already had.  It's so typical of March that I can't understand the hysteria surrounding the storm.  We ALWAYS have many feet of snow in March.  It ALWAYS melts, eventually.  It was cold this morning, but again, it's ALWAYS cold in March.  Tomorrow it's supposed to be 40, which will be pleasant, then back to the teens after that, then warmer after that.  Typical March weather.

I took my car to the dealer this week.  OMG it's still not fixed completely.  They had it all day but ran into some problems and had to order another part that won't be in until next week.  All because of a very small deer.  Honestly.  This is a big drag and makes me want to buy a new car.  But then I drive this one and think how much I do like it.  Oh life is full of complex things.

I had a really nice weekend last weekend.  Roger & Monica Gray were here and we went to their friends' house in Redford for dinner Sat. night.  These people are wicked cool and I think we'll be good friends.  They have 3 rescue horses, a blue heeler dog, chickens and a bunch of cats.  Their view is spectacular, Lyon Mountain in all its glory, turning different colors, just very pretty.  He's interested in taking down the cabin on my land, which is falling down gradually and needs to be dealt with.  I told him he could have it.  I hope no one else wants it...if anyone wants to build something on my land, we can still do that.  This cabin is shot, though, beyond repair.

What's up for this weekend?  Not much.  Dump run.  Grocery shopping tonight.  I need to make some Easter baskets and hope to start on them.  Let's be smart for once, and not wait until the week before Easter.

It was my mother's 88th birthday yesterday.  Double 8's.  Amazing.  And in 2 years she'll be a 90-year-old.  She's doing really well, started driving again this week, to book group, so feels a bit more independent.  Mark has been taking her to the grocery store every Saturday morning, which is fine with him, but she doesn't like to have people do things for her.  Gee, does that sound familiar?  I hate to have people help me, which is not a good trait for someone who lives the way I do.  I often need help.

Dogs are fine.  They were gone for a long time Weds. evening and haven't been allowed out together since then.  They're both loose in the house when I'm not home, and that seems to be OK.  Treasure gets bored and needs something to demolish.  One day it was a plastic bag of aquarium gravel, which she spread all over the chair and floor in the living room.  Boy isn't that stuff fun to vacuum up.

Work is fine.  I was supposed to go to Wadhams this week but that got cancelled.  Next week I go to the AuSable library, which is always nice.  We had a staff luncheon this week, with the theme of green food for St. Pat's Day.  Someone made green scalloped potatoes that really looked goofy.  I made broccoli quiche.  That's as green as I was willing to get.

I finished listening to Martin Fletcher's Jacob's oath, a Holocaust story, which was good.  Now I'm listening to our book group book, The invention of wings and am enjoying it a lot.  Very good.  I started reading Anna Quindlen's latest.  It's sort of reminiscent of Barbara Kingsolver.  But I'm not well into it yet.

I watched a great Dan Rather interview of Crosby, Stills & Nash last night.  Wow was that cool.  They are all 70+ but still have good voices and had a lot to say.  Stephen Stills is deaf in one ear, always has been.  Their music meant a lot to me--"the sound of a generation."  They got a bit fussed up about things but their harmonies are wonderful.  What?  Television worth watching?

No comments:

Post a Comment