Sunday, August 14, 2016

Away we go

Leaving for Rhode Island in the morning.  I can't believe how well organized and nearly packed I am for this trip.  I never have this much ready before mornings.  Maybe that's because I opted to stay home today and tonight, tired of the social life that has consumed me for the past weeks.

We had a meeting of the shoreowners' association this afternoon.  That went well.  I've been president twice, now I'm a member of whatever "board" there is.  We have by-laws but don't seem to be paying much attention to term limits.  The woman who is president is great and no one else wants to do it so we're letting it go.  Anyway the meeting was fine.  The Town Supervisor was there and spoke well.  He's a big improvement over his predecessor, I feel good about out town government (except for the one councilman I truly can't stand).

I had to go to the boat house to change the bed there and dreaded going down.  I've been lucky this week, no one was in camp since Monday, but now my ex-husband and his wife are there with friends.  Oh how I wanted to avoid going there, but I needed some things from the boat house, needed to feed the hummingbirds, and wanted to change the bed.  YAY!  I did it.  Everyone was on the dock and my dogs surprised me by staying at my side the whole time.  This is all very silly and childish.  There was a time when I wanted to talk with Jamie, be friendly (I thought).  Now I don't.  I just don't.  We have single-sentence conversations when we're face to face, as we were at the family meeting last weekend. 

So why am I going to RI at the peak of my social season in Hawkeye?  Probably BECAUSE it's the peak of my season.  There are  3 sets of people here for the week, all of whom like to get together (and drink) so it will be a busy time here.  I'm going to see my mother, of course, but I think part of the appeal of this trip is the escape from Hawkeye.  Staying with Liza is always relaxing, and I can feel that I'm doing something to improve the quality of her life.  We have very nice conversations and visits, I drive her everywhere she wants to go (this time she wants to go to the town beach, that's an easy one) and I like being there.  It's hard on my dogs because they have to stay in the pen at her house, no running free.  Sometimes Mark and I take them or early morning walks but that's harder to do in the summer because of the tourists.  No beach walks.  We can go to the wonderful park but they have to be on leashes there because they've turned into very BAD DOGS and wander.

So we'll have beach time, lobster time, we'll go to our favorite breakfast restaurant on the shore--for lunch this time.  I'll get some good coffee beans for Linda.  Liza will ask me 5 times if I want anything from her house and we'll make each other laugh.  Mark is on vacation and hopes to paint his apartment so I may help him with that.  or not.  Anyway, it will be a good trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment