Monday, August 29, 2016

Beautiful day

It's a beautiful August day, clear, sunny, slightly cool and breezy.  These are the days I remember from childhood--we'd climb a mountain, or the bluffs, or something, and it would be hot, very hot so we would be eager to get back to camp.  Rush back, put on our bathing suits and the dock would be windy and cool and the water cold.  What a disappointment!   Lately the water has been much warmer than I remember it, now merely refreshing, not chilling.

I've had some really wonderful dock days with Linda, boy we have fun together.  We watch boaters and people on jet-skis with our binoculars, we talk to the neighbors, we laugh (a lot) and we swim.  She has the best water toys, a noodle is one of our favorites.

I've just about finished with the cleaning project.  Or maybe I've just given up.  I vacuumed and swept the downstairs to death, now just have the upstairs bedroom to vacuum.  And empty the wastebaskets.  The dogs got all excited when I pulled out the contractor-sized garbage bag: garbage bags mean a trip to the dump and a trip to the dump means TREATS from Dump Bob.  Sorry, ladies, the dump isn't open until Weds., I'm just getting ready for company.

I hosted book group last night on the boat house porch, all went well.  I made lasagna rolls from a recipe we shared 25 years ago at work.  We actually did discuss the book, though briefly of course.  We had a nice time and the loon showed up, just for effect.

I have to do the dishes from last night, I brought them home.  Not a big deal, just something I put off, doing dishes.  Have to take a shower.  Again, not a big deal, just something I put off.  Too busy watching morning news shows right now to interrupt myself.  But my company will be here in 3 hours so I have to at least think about getting these things done.

What am I going to do to entertain my company (let's call him Ted, that's his name)?  Such a good question.  Lake Placid?  Whiteface? The bluffs?  Boat ride? Cocktails on the boat house porch?  Maybe even a trip to the vet, as Tess is not doing well with her ragweed allergy at all.  How long do I wait before taking her in?  She's taking all the meds that have been prescribed but she's just not right, poor dear.

I'm feeling pretty lucky, and looking forward to seeing my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment