Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Home alone

The Big Visit has ended.  Ted arrived Monday afternoon and left this afternoon.  Not an extended visit, just long enough to re-connect and re-affirm our close friendship.  We were close in college and lived together with another friend after we graduated.  We talked a lot about our friend Sally, who was my roommate all though college.  She died when she was in law school in the 70's and both Ted an I took her death very hard.  It would be so much fun to share our lives with her now, but oh well.

We spent hours talking, just talking.  Yesterday we went to Lake Placid (what else are you going to do?) and walked up and down Main St.  I was very nice and went into the bookstore to say hello to my former mother-in-law (and cousin's wife).  I introduced her to Ted so I'm sure it's all over the family now that I have a man friend (who s not Bill or Fred).  Big whoop.

We sat on the boat house porch for a long time when we got back from Placid, watching 4 loons and 3 kayakers.  The lake was extremely quiet and lovely.  Ted loves it here, which shouldn't surprise me, it's a wonderful place.  This morning he said he'd like to go back to Placid, so we did.  We found a coffee bar with a nice balcony overlooking Mirror Lake--we sat there yesterday and again today, it was lovely.

Ted's wife died when their children were about 10 and 12, so he talked a lot about losing her, raising the kids (who have both graduated from college and are gainfully employed), what life is like when you lose someone like that.  It was very sweet and nice, lots of fruitful conversations.

So now what?  After he left I went to the dump (what am I going to do with all the food I bought to feed him that we didn't eat?), took a shower, called my mother, and will go to Linda's to give her a full report soon.  Then tomorrow will come and my life will return to what passes for normal.  What is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment