Tuesday, August 23, 2016


BEACH TIME!  That would be me, in the foreground, and Mark dozing next to me.  We had a good time in RI, some excellent beaching.  The water was crystal clear, which is necessary for me to truly enjoy water.  I'm totally spoiled by sping-fed Silver Lake, where the water is clear down to 15 feet or more.

I went to my mother's on Monday the 15th, stayed until Sunday the 21st.  The traffic on the trip down was just awful, so much traffic, and I was very dozey so I stopped a few times and it took longer to get there.  Ugh.  I've learned that maybe August is not the best time to travel from one vacation spot to another.  My trip home was better but I came through VT and NH, around Boston.  It was an easy trip home, less traffic and I made good time.  I stopped at the NH Liquor Store, which I loved.  I like poking around liquor stores, a funny entertainment.  I got some excellent bourbon, a nice herbal vermouth for Erdvilas, a nice gin for Erdvilas, some whiskey for Jim Brousseau, some special gin for Fred--maybe that's it, I can't remember.  I didn't allow myself to wander through the wine section, way too tempting.  Anyway I spent plenty of money but loved it.

So I got home Sunday night, had a peaceful re-entry into Hawkeye Life.  It was very hot and humid in RI, too humid.  It has cleared here and cooled way off.  It was in the high 40's yesterday morning, 50's this morning, and in the 70's yesterday and today.  Yesterday I went to Plattsburgh, got my errands done and had a nice lunch with Barb.  Well, maybe the lunch wasn't so nice, the restaurant was packed and noisy and it took too long for our food to arrive.  But we enjoyed being together, which is really the point (except that we were both really hungry and got tired of waiting).

I went to Linda's for cocktails, tasting the bourbon I bought (which is delicious).  After drinks we went to Wilmington for ice cream with Fred, always a nice treat (both the ice cream and time spent with Fred).

I had trouble getting to sleep last night, then was up during the night and slept soundly on the couch this morning.  Yikes, Fred called at 8 and I was sleeping soundly on the couch.  I dreamed I was in the Miss America pageant.  Is this the new version of my anxiety dream?  Geez I hope not.  Anyway, Fred wanted to go to the Wild Center in Tupper Lake, so that's how we spent our day.  It was a fantastic August day, clear, sunny and warm.  The Wild Center was grand but Fred had limited mobility so that was a bit worrisome.  I walked the new trail there that's above the trees, very fancy and special..  It was great, good mountain views in the distance.

I just got home from Joe & Martha's, had a nice visit with them and their grandson.  Now I'm cooking some local corn for dinner.  I have a lot of housework to do, both inside and outdoors.  My college friend is coming next week and I really can't present my house in its current condition.  Oh my oh my there is a lot to do!  I'm hoping we'll be able to sleep at camp but I need to get the house in better shape.  I got a bit of a start this afternoon.  Tomorrow is a boat ride with friends and dinner with Linda & Erdvilas.  But FIRST:  study the list I've made of chores and get some of them done.

No comments:

Post a Comment