Sunday, February 26, 2017

Back to winter

Yesterday it was 60 in Hawkeye, this morning it's 24.  We had sunshine yesterday, then pouring rain with thunder, then finally at least 3 inches of heavy snow.  VERY heavy snow.  Trees are drooping, branches and boughs breaking off.  The snow on my car this morning was like concrete because it all started as ice then was covered with heavy snow, which all froze.  It took a while to uncover the car but I managed fine and got to the gym this morning, spent 40 minutes on the treadmill and had a good visit with my friend.

It's been a bush weekend.  This was the weekend of The Burn.  Joe arrived on Thursday, as did the Holts and their company.  Friday was lunch in Plattsburgh with P&J, Joe and Bill--always a treat.  Friday night was dinner with the Holts--again always a treat.  Yesterday I went to AuSable in the morning for book group groceries for tonight, then I went to the burn.  It was pretty, as it always is, something hypnotic about a big fire, right?  This year the ground was pretty much bare and it was warm, very warm.  It wasn't until late afternoon that the rain started.  What a downpour!  Just amazing for the end of February.  I went to the Holts for dinner, walked down in my mud boots as it started to snow then came home with wet feet because the snow was so much deeper, and had to duck under many drooping boughs along the road.  Dramatic and beautiful effect.

This morning I met my friend at the gym--we'd skipped yesterday so had much to catch up on.  I think tomorrow we'll meet at my house in the afternoon and do some walking around here before having dinner with Annie and her company.  Tonight is book group and I've been trying to come up with a book that's available cheaply or widely at libraries.  I think I may have found one, The flood girls, by Richard Fifield (who was born in 1975, yikes, oh my big yikes).  We'll see how that goes over.  Book group is at Marylou's new house, which is very exciting and wonderful.

Boy my woods look like and Ideals magazine.  Does anyone else remember Ideals?  No, probably not.

It's great to have March arrive but this weather has us all confused.  It was so much like April last week, just wonderful spring-like conditions but the cruelty of weather reality wasn't far away.  Here we are, back in winter but with knowing that spring will indeed arrive.  Wow.
 The Burn
Working the burn

No comments:

Post a Comment