Wednesday, May 03, 2017

It always snows in May

So it was no real surprise that we had snow this morning.  Nothing really worth reporting, just splashes of white on windows.  What we mostly have now is mud, even though I'd call "official" mud season over.  It's just rained and rained, and with the exception of tomorrow is supposed to rain more.  There are signs of spring for sure and the poplars continue to green up the hills.  This afternoon I watched an ermine (weasel) climb trees and run along the edge of the woods on my lawn.  It was still almost totally white except for the black tip of its tail.  Where was my camera?  In the car of course, so I retrieved it and later took this shot of a varying/snowshoe hare.  Very different from the ermine, the hares have almost turned into their summer fur of brown.  They have white footies and underbellies but are hard to see against the dead leaves on the lawn.  Hard for me, maybe, but Treasure and Tess have no problems spotting them.  Treasure is convinced that someday, just maybe someday she'll catch one but she never returns with rabbit's feet in her mouth.  When I was growing up we had a female dachshund that was the greatest huntress.  Once we found her with several baby bunny feet sticking out of her mouth ("They're MINE, I found them, I get to keep them.").  She was a sweet dog but incorrigible about running off.

Anyway here's the hare of the day:

No comments:

Post a Comment