Monday, February 05, 2018

Of COURSE it's cold: it's February

It was nice early this morning, temps in the 20's, almost 30 but now it's 11 and not nice.  It was a beautiful day if you looked out the window, not so nice to be out in it.  There's a very cold and "brisk" wind.  Even Dump Bob commented on it.  So did the man at Stewart's.  And the woman who sold me coffee this morning.  I guess we're all in agreement, then: it's cold and it's winter.

I've just been doing my usual things, working in Keene Valley (we've scanned more than 500 images), it's time for me to figure out how to dump the scanned images on a drive and ship them out to be posted.  I've skipped the thrift store 3 times, that's not good.  One day I just didn't feel like going and then it felt like a holiday not to go, another time I had to take the car to be fixed from being fixed and on Saturday I had coffee with a friend instead.  Wednesday I will return and decorate the Holiday Loft for Easter.

I've been to the gym almost every day with my friend though we did skip a couple of days last week because of her schedule (heaven forbid I go without Carol!).  This morning I was up before 5, which is way too early to meet her at 6:15.  My poor car was bumped hard by a deer who ran alongside of me just outside of Black Brook in the dark this morning.  Luckily I wasn't going fast, the roads are pretty slick these days.  Neither deer nor car was injured.  I think.

I had lunch with a good friend (do I have any friends who AREN'T good ones?  I don't think so) in Plattsburgh today, she retired last week so we could spend as much time together as we could stand.  She's only 55 but has 5 grandchildren.  Yikes.

Got some errands taken care of but didn't leave enough time before lunch for groceries and sure didn't feel like doing that after lunch.  Hit the dump, liquor store, gas station, bank and drug store, oh, yeah, got eggs at the Farmhouse too.  Most of those errands weren't for me (like, do I buy chewing tobacco and cheap whiskey for MYSELF?  I think not).  I can't believe I used to go to Plattsburgh often, now it seems far far away.  I'll go again on Friday though to celebrate Jim B.'s 83rd birthday at the lobster restaurant.

We had some snow last night, probably 4 inches and I guess we're getting more in a couple of days.  SO much that they can't even predict how much it will be.  And a cold night tonight.  Yes, that is winter isn't it.  My summer friends all tell me this is God's country, which of course it is for most of the year.  January and February not so much.

I'm feeding the birds but have a limited selection of visitors this year.  Many many blue jays, some chickadees and some juncos.  Where are the woodpeckers?  I put out suet but only the blue jays are enjoying it.  And hogging it.  There are a lot of grouse around in the woods, and turkeys along the road but that's about it for birds.

Life continues to entertain and please me.  I'm lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment