Friday, February 02, 2018

Oh dear, too long

What happened?   Well I am busy but shouldn't be too busy to write a few words now and then.  Anyway I'm back.  It's a cold, miserably cold day.  Temp is 1 but there's a huge wind so we're having wind chills (if you believe in them) in the teens below zero.  And due to drop to sub-zero temps tonight.  My house is warm, my fire is hot and I'm just fine.

I went to the laundromat this morning, washed bedding that was covered with dog hair.  It will be hairless for about 2 hours until tonight.  Treasure is shedding, Bear holding on to his hair.  I've been cutting Bear's nails but have to do it one at a time and quickly.  I don't know the story of his past, I don't know if someone tortured him by cutting his nails, but he sure acts like a big big baby when I cut a nail.  And they need to be cut.  He gets a treat for every nail I cut--to this Treasure says she has to have ALL of her nails cut to earn a treat so what's up with this? 

I had a car-centered week.  Took my car to the Platts. Sube dealer on Monday for oil change, tire rotation and to have the broken rear wiper fixed.   All went well until I drove the car on Tuesday when the lug nuts on one wheel were loose.  Man what a horrible noise and what a terrifying thing!   I was very very upset.  Stopped at Fred Drake's in AuSable and he was a real peach and helped me right out.  Yes, he said, that front wheel is very very loose, shaking his head.  Today I took him some brownies because he wouldn't let me pay him on Tuesday.  He said to call any time for anything and he'd help.  HOW WONDERFUL!!!   Weds. I went back to the dealer (after telling them I would never never go back--they wooed me with promises of checking all wheels).  They really couldn't find a reason for the loose lug nuts except for dealer error so they fixed my rear wiper for free (worth nearly $400 and interpreted by me as an admission of guilt).  OK, I did all right but it sure was a lucky thing that wheel didn't fall off.  I had ambivalent feelings about that dealer anyway, I usually go to the Burlington dealer (where I bought the car).  So I guess I'll keep doing that.

Aside from that I've had a quiet time.  Thrift store, Archives, gym.  All good.  No gym today or tomorrow, my friend has conflicts.  Heaven forbid I go by myself, that wouldn't be fair to her!  Tomorrow I'm going to Keene for coffee with my friend who still works at the library system.  We see each other pretty much every week but don't talk about her work much, I think maybe she knows I'm not really that interested in what's happening where I no longer work.

We had an actual patron at the Archives this week.  Not my favorite part of the job but the woman who works with me is a gem and she helped.  It was a request for an image we had already scanned so I found it and printed out a good (surprisingly good) copy for the patron, who left with a smile on her face.  Margaret (my "assistant") found additional information for her and boy did we look good!

It snows often, typical for winter but only a couple of inches at a time.  It's just miserable cold today mostly due to the wind.  Temp is 0 and dropping, will be well below zero tonight.  I feel lucky to have a warm living room with a good stove and plenty of firewood.  I have the best ever kindling, a friend's cousin is a woodworker and gives us kiln-dried pieces of kindling that lights like magic.

Will I watch the Super Bowl?  Probably.  I don't care what people say, I LIKE Tom Brady.  I do not like the violence of football but enjoy watching it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment