Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Spring NOT

Although it was -6 yesterday morning, today it was +3.  Yeah, that's spring all right.  We do have bright warm sunshine with a sun that's remarkably higher in the sky, yeah that's spring for real.  There is just a whole lot of snow here.  Life is good anyway but I got a report from Michigan that crocuses are blooming there, and in RI the daffodils were up and snowdrops were blooming.  Hard to imagine that happening here but then I do have a good imagination...

I've been getting to the gym but with mixed results.  This morning we did an honest 30 minutes, other days we've stopped at 15 minutes for various reasons.  My friend will be out of town tomorrow morning so I'll need to decide whether to go alone or bag it.  Gee, I wonder which I'll do.  Oh I may surprise myself (but I doubt it).

I worked this morning in Keene Valley, that was good.  Lots of scanning old photos with a smattering of being charming to board members and patrons.  My colleague and I have a good time, a very good time together and it's always a treat to see her smile.  She has a great sense of humor (which matches mine nicely).  I've registered for a workshop on metadata in early April to see if I'm entering the metadata I'm entering correctly or not.  Since I've only entered data for 200 images it's a good time to look into this.  The other, really important thing I need to do is write instructions and descriptions for what I'm doing.  When I started there was no one who knew how to scan or what the scanning project was (the previous archivist died suddenly last summer).  Now, swell, there is someone who knows how to do it but once again there is only ONE person with the knowledge.   I'm not irreplaceable, I've proven that, but I do believe in manuals and handbooks.

I hosted book group (The tea girl of Hummingbird Lane)(at least I think that was the title) on Sunday.  We had a good time, one of us had ordered a cake of tea to go with our discussion, I cooked shrimp and broccoli that was supposed to be Chinese-ish (but wasn't, ultimately) and we had a good time.  Lots of food and good conversation (some of it about the book, even).  Next up is a Brunonia Barry book, title of which I can't remember.

I'm not going to RI for Easter this year.  The first time in modern history I won't be spending the holiday weekend with my mother.  or anyone.  How will that be? 

No comments:

Post a Comment