Friday, May 10, 2019

And rain

Hard to believe we had a sunny day this week but I guess we did.  I remember sitting on my deck reading the newspaper in the sun.  Just a vague memory now.  Boy did it rain today, heavy rain mixed with showers.  Last night's rain was loud on my metal roof.  On it goes.

I went to Plattsburgh today, switched over my car tires (as if I had another kind of tire) and ran a couple of errands.  Best errand by far was plant shopping but I showed remarkable restraint, mostly because I didn't use a cart and couldn't carry more than half a dozen pots.  I've made plans to go plant shopping with a friend on Sunday but tonight I feel more like going tomorrow--suppose all the good plants are gone by Sunday?   Hah.  As if.  Anyway I should work at the thrift store tomorrow because I suspect they'll be short-handed and it might be busy.  If the sun comes out.  That's a big if.

This weather is tiring and discouraging.  I've planted several varieties of flowers in peat pots indoors and they're all germinating nicely.  That's optimism, something I'm not always known for.  My co-worker in the Archives says I always see the good in people (little does she know...) and that I always assume the best.  I don't feel that way about myself, maybe that's good, to convince others that I'm an optimist who looks for good things.  I grew up with people who did NOT see the good in things but had pretty dismal outlooks so maybe I AM cheerful as a reaction to that.  Anyway, the weather has not helped me be an optimist.  We had thunder and lightning last night.

My bird feeder is the hottest place in Hawkeye these days--bright yellow goldfinches, purple purple finches, white-crowned sparrows, chipmunks, blue jays, juncos.  In the woods I hear white-throated sparrows, ovenbirds, drumming grouse and I've seen flickers so spring is here.  I have a friend who can identify warblers and reported seeing some this week at his camp.  I can only recognize one warbler's call, the black-throated blue warbler, which nests around my house every summer.

Life is good.  No, really, it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment