Wednesday, May 01, 2019

So much NOT like spring

It rained, sleeted, snowed and then we had hail today.  There was the most spectacular red sunrise, which I guess I should have heeded (red sky at morning...).  Luckily it was clear for our morning walk at 6:30 with the dogs, that was chilly but pleasant.  So pleasant we're repeating it again tomorrow.

I worked at the thrift store this morning, was asked to work in receiving because there's a huge backlog of stuff to be processed.  I like being a bagger but mostly I just do what's needed, work wherever people need help.  I do like that, doing different jobs there.  A good friend came in to the store and we went to lunch together.  That was a special treat.  During my darker times we used to go to Plattsburgh together every weekend to shop and have lunch and Kahlua Coolattas from Dunkin Donuts.  Those were nice times that got me through some complicated years.  Anyway we both have good lives in retirement now and are happy to be together.

It's almost 10:30 and I can't sleep.  I started reading Wallace Stegner, the print in the book is incredibly small and the prose is dense but wow it's well-written.  I ordered The angle of repose, which won the Pulitzer Prize decades ago, let's see how it compares to this one (Crossing to safety), which is about 2 couples and their long friendship.  Right now they're just getting to know each other in Madison, Wisc., so it's got some good Midwestern stuff in it.

It made me think of reading all the Pulitzer Prize winners as a goal.  But since I'm so NOT goal-oriented I doubt I'll do that, plus I have a zillion other books in my house that need to be read.  I started reading an old Anne Tyler book, one I don't remember ever reading.  I didn't finish it but haven't given up on it yet.  My mother read it while I was with her at Easter and she didn't remember that we read pretty much every Anne Tyler book at one time and I have her collection--she thinks she doesn't remember reading them so I'll send them to her.  It's hard to find the right things for her to read these days.  Her taste has changed a bit, she doesn't so much enjoy the well-written, "deep" books that she even recently liked reading.  She is an avid reader and I have tried keeping her in books but it's getting harder.  I take 10 books to her and she summarily rejects 7 of them, keeping 3 that she "might try to read."  Oh well, I'm happy if I can offer her 3.  She still amazes me.

It's raining hard right now.  I would so much like to have the sun shine and was hoping for a sunny Saturday, supposed to go to a couple of yard sales with a friend but the forecast is a bit vague, seems there might be rain in the morning.  poo.


No comments:

Post a Comment