Monday, February 11, 2008

This is Uno, the number one hound in the country right now. He just won Best in Breed and Best in Group at Westminster. He's a 15" beagle, as opposed to a 13" beagle. The small beagles are incredibly cute, but Uno is very, very wonderful. I saw him in a show last week and was really impressed. He's what my father used to call "sporty." Trots with great purpose and joy, tail wagging and held high. Beagles don't do well in shows, they're not dogs owned by rich people. I'm rootin' for Uno, though. Best in Show will happen tomorrow night.

If anyone has seen the Christopher Guest movie "Best in Show," the Westminster Show is funny to watch. The movie is a great parody, close to reality. Here's what the press had to say about Uno:

"Uno came with his favorite stuffed frog toy and the fluffy pillow he sleeps on, the one with a Hollywood star."

There's this whole part of the movie about a neurotic couple and their Weimeraner, and they lose the dog's Busy Bee squeaky toy. The wife runs to the hotel gift shop and screams at the clerk to find something that looks like a bee. He offers all sorts of alternatives--fish, chicken (That doesn't even LOOK LIKE A BEE!). Anyway, the dog ends up attacking the judge in the ring and is disqualified. I love this movie and watch it when it's on.

Cold today, -4 when I left the house. They kept talking about the wind chill but I don't pay attention to that,it's just a made up number to let people know they can complain. Cold is cold, wind is wind. It is what it is. We're supposed to get more snow tomorrow night--another 6", if anyone can be believed. I am SO LUCKY I have a good and kind plow man this year. Even if it's costing me a fortune. $150 for Dec.-Jan. Plus maybe 4 times since then. $30 a shot. Yikes. Winter is expensive--firewood, electricity, plowing, snow tires, bird seed. But as I say, it is what it is. Jenica said her feet were cold last night. Mine were too, until Tess got under the covers so I could tuck them under her tummy. At least my pump didn't freeze.

Working until 5, then must get Ken dishwashing soap. Bill didn't show up for Sunday dinner yesterday (bad weather) so I went over there and found something to cook. Stayed late, until 3:30, but Ken needed someone to visit with. I'll go Weds., will find something easy for dinner--he's into this thing about not wanting me to cook. I figure he got sick of my cooking, or of watching me cook, or of waiting for dinner to cook. Who knows.

Dogs had to try walking on 3 paws this morning, ground too cold for tootsies. Tess shakes her coldest foot, like someone trying to get the circulation back in their digits. We once had a dog who had had his paws frostbitten before we got him. That was very sad. Not my dogs, they're just fine. First they complain that their feet are cold, the next minute they're chasing each other around in the snow asfastastheycanrun. Funny girls. Cat won't get more than 2 feet from the wood stove, unless she's lying on top of me. wussie.


No comments:

Post a Comment