Wednesday, February 06, 2008

What's it called?

I listen to books on CD all the time--an hour and a half a day, to and from work. It's funny to hear what the readers are familiar with and what they seem to have no knowledge of. Recently one reader used "riffled" when I thought it must have been "rifled" in print. Check it out from dictionary.com--

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
ri·fle 2 (rī'fəl) Pronunciation Key v. ri·fled, ri·fling, ri·fles v. tr.
To search with intent to steal.
To ransack or plunder; pillage.
To rob: rifle a safe. v. intr. To search vigorously: rifling through my drawers to find matching socks.

But then there's

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
rif·fle (rĭf'əl) Pronunciation Key n.
A rocky shoal or sandbar lying just below the surface of a waterway.
A stretch of choppy water caused by such a shoal or sandbar; a rapid.
In mining, the sectional stone or wood bottom lining of a sluice, arranged for trapping mineral particles, as of gold.
A groove or block in such a lining.
In mining, the sectional stone or wood bottom lining of a sluice, arranged for trapping mineral particles, as of gold.
A groove or block in such a lining.
Games: The act or an instance of shuffling cards. v. rif·fled, rif·fling, rif·fles v. tr.
Games: To shuffle (playing cards) by holding part of a deck in each hand and raising up the edges before releasing them to fall alternately in one stack.
To thumb through (the pages of a book, for example).

So I don't remember the context, to know if it was a book the character was riffling through, or someone's drawer the caracter was rifling through.

This morning the reader kept talking about Port Sed, and I know it was Port Said, which I know is Port Sai-eed. Jeez, I sure am my father's daughter. He had a real thing for grammar, pronunciation and accents. When I started sounding like a midwesterner (a pronounced twang, nasal at that) he chastized me and mocked me. My solution: get out of the midwest. Now I have a North Country affectation, subtle and only select words. Hard not to do when all around you pronounce a word a certain way. Around here you sound like a snob if you don't say it the same way.

Everyone loves the way Ken says badaydas instead of potatoes. Doesn't seem like much of a thing to me, I don't hear it anymore.

Anyway, glad I got riffle and rifle straightened out. Whew! I can sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment