Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Cold and snowy

It was 6 this morning, now, at 9:00 up to 12.  We're supposed to have a relatively big snowstorm this afternoon (if you count 6 inches as "big") and tonight.  We could use the snow.  Well, wait, what do you use snow for?  Anyway, it would be appropriate for us to have more snow.  The lake re-froze, it was cold after it rained.  Lots of ice in our driveways but the roads are clear.

I have no plans for the day, which is a very strange feeling.  Yesterday I went to Plattsburgh to pick up something at UPS (the driver couldn't find my house--obviously not the regular driver).  AND I took down the Christmas tree.  Which one took longer?  The tree was a mess, it was so dry that you touched a branch and it rained needles.  I got it de-decorated, then cut off most of the branches before taking it outside.  It's now lying on the deck, looking very sad.  It may well stay there for the rest of the winter, that's not unusual for a lazy fool like me.
,
What I picked up at UPS was a new bowl for Treasure.  It's plastic and has ridges in the bottom, like a maze.  It's designed to slow down her eating.  She eats so incredibly fast, doesn't really chew most of her kibble.  So I thought I'd try this.  The first time she used it I felt really guilty--she just looked at it before working so hard to get the food into her mouth.  This morning she wasn't surprised about it, she jut sort of wilted.  Tess thinks it's great because she finally finishes first so can help Treasure dig out the final pieces.  It just seems as if I'm torturing poor Treasure.  How do you explain to a dog that it's for her own good?

I started reading the latest Chris Bohjalian book, just released.  It's on my Kindle, which is less fun for me to read from than print copies, but it was cheaper and immediately available.  We had book group on Sunday, our book was Ordinary grace, which we all agreed was a good choice.  Next up is The Martian.  There were 5 of us, counting Linda via phone.  She called and we had  very nice time chatting with her.  She's an important addition to the group so it was great to have her here.  Lin made delicious pizza, Marylou brought a LOT of chocolate, Lori brought potato chips (forbidden fruit) and cookies.  I made a salad and served ice cream with raspberry sauce for dessert.  Lots of good food and a nice time visiting.

Tomorrow is my weekly lunch with Julie in Plattsburgh.  There's an ad in today's newspaper for a driver needed, to drive once a week to Plattsburgh from a town between here and there, pays $100 per trip.  It is sooooo tempting to call and sign up for this.  It feels as if I drive as a hobby, so it would be good to have someone else benefit from this, and of course the money would be handy. 

The dogs are taking themselves for a walk.  I let them do that this time of year.  There's no one else in the neighborhood and they don't seem to go to the hardtop (most of the time).  I suppose I like having them do this because it means I don't have to walk them.  I am, as we know, an inherently lazy person.

As part of my "3 things a day" plan I will have to come up with 2 things for today.  I'll visit with Pat & Jim later in the day so that will be 1, and if I were smart I'd walk to the mailbox for #2, then what?  I could take the Christmas stuff upstairs and make room in the master bedroom/storage unit for them.  That seems almost insurmountable but may be what I do.  The day will define itself I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment