Friday, January 15, 2016

Warming trend

It's 17 at 8:30 a.m. and that feels just great.  Not sunny, which would be asking too much.  We had some sun yesterday before it clouded over and snowed in the afternoon.  I've been outside a couple of times so far and it really does feel nice, probably because there's no wind.

I had sort of a rough day yesterday, a day without focus.  I need more structure than that, so this morning I made a list of tasks for the day.  What does it say about me that I need a LIST to be productive?  I can't wing it, I need to know what I'm doing and where I'm going.  Is it because I was a librarian?  A cataloger?  Or am I just a disorganized dork...

I have a house full of disorder that should provide me with endless tasks that shouldn't require a written list to accomplish.  Well, we have to accept who we are and how we function, so that's what I'll do.  With a smile.

The mailwoman came to my house yesterday to deliver a package.  She's really great that way--instead of leaving a note in my mailbox that requires a trip to town, she'll deliver things 1/2 mile down the road and up my "rustic" driveway to my door.  Every time she does that she says "I don't know how you live out here, in the middle of nowhere, by yourself."  I give her the same answer every time: I like it.  She just looks at me when I say that, like a dog hearing a strange sound.  I blabber on about how I'm not anti-social, I like people but I really like my privacy.  And the quiet.  Still she looks at me.  She's retiring in March and I don't know what the new carrier will be like but I bet the new carrier won't drive to my house and chat with me.  Well, it depends on who trains the newbie I suppose.

Tomorrow I'm going to a brunch for the Democratic Congressional candidate.  Why?  Well, my friends from Scarsdale asked me if I wanted to go and I often feel obligated to say yes to invitations.  So I go.  I went to some things like this when I worked with Rush's campaigns in NJ.  One time I was his driver for the day, which was interesting, entertaining and a nice chance to visit with him.  Another time I went door-to-door for him.  When we were kids my mother used to have us do that for school board candidates.  My sister hated it, I wasn't thrilled, but we tended to do what my mother told us to.  In later years we went door-to-door for Eugene McCarthy, and not because our mother asked us to.  Will I do anything to help this candidate's campaign?  What he really needs is money, which I can't help with, but maybe I can make phone calls or stuff envelopes or something like that.

Life is good, if a little unfocused.  I am entertained to learn things about myself all the time.  Yesterday was a good lesson.  I need a list, if I don't have any obligations, appointments or plans for the day.  So today I have a list.

No comments:

Post a Comment