Thursday, January 07, 2016

Noisy ice

The lake froze over yesterday and the ice was really loud this morning.  It moans and groans when the ice plates move around, which is very entertaining (as long as you know what the noise is).  I heard it when I was chasing the dogs.  I was getting ready to go to Plattsburgh and they ran off, down the hill and off into the woods.  Oh was I mad.  I finally found them, 20 minutes later, at the end of the driveway.  They always seem so surprised to see me when I catch them out and about.  Ratpigs.

I had a good trip to town but didn't get everything done that I'd hoped.  I got groceries for book group Sunday night, got the car washed, bought gas, mailed something to my mother, but mostly had lunch with Barb.  We always have a good time together and cover a lot of subjects.  It was very nice.  I had a big salad, pretending to further my effort to lose a pound a week.  What did I have for dinner?  Peas, lots of peas.  Only 280 calories of peas, which is four servings according to the package.  Am I full?  No, but I'm not really hungry, either.  I've got fruit and yogurt to eat in a little while.

I'm not doing terribly well with my plan to do 3 things every day.  What did I do today?  Went to Plattsburgh (1), carried in a lot of firewood (2--really?) and chased the dogs (3, a real stretch).  I have to get back to being what I carefully define as productive. 

Someone repaired my mailbox post and put a new mailbox on it.  WHO???  I'm assuming it was the County Highway Dept., but must check with the tomorrow to make sure it's for me.  No mail delivered today so I guess the mailwoman wonders the same thing.  I'll go into AuSable to finish shopping for book group and talk to the people at the post office there.

I decided not to finish John Irving's latest book.  Pretty dramatic, I really like his writing and think some of his work is really grand.  This one did nothing for me.  I read about a third of it, put it down and read 4 other books.  I tried reading it again, but it just didn't get me.  I'm reading a collection of short stories by David Guterson and am really enjoying it.  I'm trying to come up with titles for book group to choose from.  It sure is different doing this without the benefit of CEF's collection, but I poke around different websites and come up with titles.

Although it was -11 earlier this week, it was 8 this morning and up to 33 this afternoon.  Some predictions call for 40-degree temps and sleet on the weekend.  Bet we don't see 40, we're always cooler than what's predicted on TV.

I started using my Roku, at last.  This afternoon I watched Trailer Park Boys, which I'll continue to watch.  I also watched Jerry Seinfeld's Comedians in cars with coffee, which is very clever and funny (and are short bits).  I watched House of Cards earlier in the week but it grabbed me about as much as John Irving's latest book did.  There is nothing much on TV that interests me so I should really be streaming more often.  Or, heaven forbid, turn off the television (NOT).

Dogs are fine, exhausted tonight after their busy day touring the 'hood and Plattsburgh.  They are special, very special.  I thoroughly enjoy them (even when they're evil toads).

No comments:

Post a Comment