Friday, January 22, 2016

Special time

One of my favorite things ever is being outside on a still, sunny, clear winter day when the temperature is around 20.  Lucky me!  Yesterday and today are days like that.  Not a cloud in the sky, not a breath of wind.  It's just beautiful.  Yesterday I walked to camp, without the dogs, without a sound, without any tracks on the road or on the lake.  How lucky am I?  I didn't take the dogs because I don't know how thick the ice is, and neither do they.  I had a dog long ago who wouldn't walk on thin ice, but these 2 are so foolish and naive that they wouldn't think about thickness of ice, they would just think of a huge open space where you could run and run and run.  So they stayed home.

I've had a good week, pretty busy for an old retired woman.  I went to Plattsburgh on Tuesday, did y blood work, had a haircut, got some groceries.  I noticed when I left home that my mailbox had been blasted again by a plow.  The arm was snapped, same as the last time.  I stopped at the Highway Dept. in Plattsburgh (it's the County that plows the hardtop, where my mailbox lives) and reported it.  By that night the post was repaired, mailbox back up and there's now a big neon flag on top of the box.  YAY!  Nicely done, County workers.

I went to Pat & Jim's on Tuesday, had a good visit with them.

Wednesday I was back in Plattsburgh having lunch with Julie.  We always have a good time together, an we always eat the same Japanese food at the same Japanese restaurant.  We've switched from the Thai restaurant uptown to the Japanese restaurant downtown.  We're pretty boring when it comes to lunches.

Yesterday Lin called in the morning.  She's taking 2 days off from work this week to get some stuff done around the house.  She wanted to see Joy, and have dinner in Plattsburgh, so I picked her up and away we went.  The movie was good (but long) and Jennifer Lawrence was really great.  We had an OK dinner, cheap because it was early at Texas Roadhouse.  OK, we went there, we don't need to go back. It's loud there, and very dark.  Too much noise and bustle for me.

Today I have a list of tasks: sort picture frames to find ones that Lin might want, cut the dogs' nails, call Subaru to make an appointment for early Feb., move the dog cage that I haven't used in more than a year, and deliver egg cartons to Marylou in Wilmington.  Moving the dog cage is the biggest challenge.  It involves finding homes for the things I've been storing on top of it.  Then, of course, what do I do with the space it will leave?  Oh, not to worry I'm sure I can find SOMETHING to put there.

I got an email from Joe announcing the date of The Burn in February.  That's one of the main events of the winter, for sure, and it's nice to have that to look forward to.  Seeing Joe, not necessarily The Burn, although that's always fun, too.

I'll go for another walk today, it's just too pretty not to.  Right now the dogs are sound asleep in the sun in the living room.  They're exhausted why?  They've been outside at least 5 times, they rode with me to get the newspaper, they've had their peanut butter and meds, have had treats, have eaten their breakfasts, had some "bed time" when we roll around on the couch and play mean viscious fighting dogs.

Life is good, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment