Friday, January 29, 2016

Friday snow

It's snowing today, on and off according to the experts.  A minute ago it was a heavy and dense snow, now it's just a flutter.  The trees are outlined in white and are very pretty.  It's warm, 31, and I have a good fire going so all is well on the homefront.  The dogs have already walked themselves this morning and are now exhausted and waiting for our trip to Plattsburgh.

I have a few errands to run, and lunch with Barb.  We'll meet at the Greek restaurant, our usual spot.  With Julie, on Wednesdays I eat Japanese food at OUR usual spot.  Nice to have these 2 restaurants in close proximity to where my friends work.

My friends "The Boys" are here for a few days.  These are the men who own one of the camps below my house.  They come every winter to be in Hawkeye for Extremefest.  They ski, hike, climb mountains and feed me dinners.  I'll see them tonight, talked to them on the phone last night.  They've all arrived, from California, Boston and Minneapolis.  I love visiting with them, they always make me laugh.  They've been friends since childhood and remind me of my brother and his childhood friends, when they used to get together and giggle a lot.  Our house was a gathering place for Henry and his friends through high school and college so I vicariously enjoyed their brotherhood.  I had my own group of friends, and we giggled a lot too but there's something very dear about men and their very close friends.  Women, yes, we always have close friends.  Men, maybe not so much all the time.  Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

I've been mildly productive this week.  I did tidy up the living room, though maybe to the untrained eye this would not show.  I finished cleaning the laundry room, the final cleansing involving removal of cobwebs and HUGE amounts of dog hair in clumps invisible to the naked eye on the black vinyl floor.  The vinyl tiles are peeling off because of the several floods I've had when the pipes there freeze.  I've solved the freezing problem (I hope) by wrapping the pipes and moving the washing machine so warm air can actually get to the pipes.  I feel as if I've outsmarted cold air.

I'm working on losing weight, in my own way.  I keep a food journal and count calories.  Sometimes this is really discouraging and some days I do quite well.  My plan was to lose a pound a week.  I've lost 2 pounds since my last visit to the doctor, but that was probably because the nurse had me take my shoes off this time.  harumpf.  I did order a foldable exercise bicycle, which was on sale and supposedly easy to assemble.  I would prefer a treadmill but don't have a good place to put it, it's too expensive, and how would I get it in the house?  I did really well when I was doing Weight Watchers and walking on the treadmill every day--I lost 28 pounds.  I found the 28 pounds, plus a few more, so I'm not doing well.  Wish me luck.

Not much going on this weekend except for The Boys.  I'll go to the big dump today on my way to Plattsburgh to drop off clothing and towels to be recycled.  I'll go to MY dump tomorrow to recycle and get rid of trash.  Why don't I do all of it today?  Such a good question.  I suppose it's just because I like to have something to do every day, and Saturday my "thing to do" is usually going to the dump to see Dump Bob and get biscuits for the dogs.  I have some glass gallon jars to recycle.  I used to dye my baskets with special powdered dye that I mixed up in these jars, but now I don't dye them, I stain them instead so I don't need the 8 jars I have.  I'll keep some because why wouldn't I?  They must be useful for something.  A terrarium.  Mixing up a big batch of something.  Who knows.

I was in Plattsburgh on Wednesday for lunch with Julie.  While we were eating lunch she watched a policeman put a ticket on my windshield.  Really?  A parking ticket in Plattsburgh?  By a policeman, not a meter maid?  I was parked more than 12 inches from the curb, which cost me $15 for the ticket.  Honestly, I thought it was really funny (when I wasn't irritated).  I've been teased a lot for it and everyone agrees I should practice my parallel parking of the Subaru.

Dogs are sleeping, I'm dressed and ready for town, will leave soon.  It IS a winter wonderland out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment