Monday, January 18, 2016

Day off

Well, I don't get a day off because EVERY day is a day off for me.  It's a holiday, though, and what am I doing to celebrate?  Thinking about things, having a quiet day.

I had a nice weekend, pretty busy by my standards.  Saturday I went to the Democratic brunch, hearing from the candidate and visiting with the few people I knew there.  It was nice, I went thinking it was my civic duty but was very pleased to have gone after all.  Good candidate, good politics.

Yesterday I went to see Star Wars with Lin.  First we had lunch in Plattsburgh, then we went to the movies.  I really liked it, was surprised at how much I enjoyed seeing it.  It's a very nice film, very funny and clever.  I'm not much for battle scenes or light sabers, but was it was fun to see.

I've tried to keep up with my lists every day.  This, I guess is a formalization of my attempt to do 3 things each day.  My lists have more than 3 things, maybe so I have something to choose from.  Today's list includes laundry (done), feed the birds (done), finish my letter to the Neels (done) and 2 other, loftier activities: move a chair upstairs and start working on the master bedroom.  Since it's still morning there is a chance I'll do one or both of these things.  A chance.

We got a couple of inches of fresh snow.  It was sort of a disappointment, as it was predicted that we'd get 2-4 and I assumed we'd get the 4".  Not to be.  Now it's 15 outside, which isn't very cold.  Temps supposed to drop for the week.  That is good, we need cold weather to firm up the ice so my friends can walk on it when they come next week.  Would I walk on it?  That's questionable.  I'll wait to see if they fall through.  And hope for the best.

I'm reading The gravity of birds which so far is about a birdwatcher.  I recently found a couple of CD's of bird calls.  I used to listen to them in the car all the time.  Only a few calls stuck with me.  One trip I took with Anna, from here to RI, I made her listen to bird calls for hours (poor dear).  The woman who described the calls was more entertaining than the calls, and the calls were entertaining enough ("Quick three beers," which is what bird?  I only remember that, not the bird it belongs to).  We laughed a lot, but as I say I remembered few of the calls.

This week I have 2 Plattsburgh trips scheduled.  Tomorrow I'll go in the morning to have blood work done, followed by a hair appointment.  Timing is crucial. I'll want to go early because it's a fasting lab, but my appointment isn't until 11.  I guess shopping is an option, but for what?  Maybe a visit to Starbucks would be time better spent.  I can always read while I drink coffee.  Wednesday is my standard lunch with Julie.  We go to the Japanese restaurant downtown now, a change from the Thai food we were eating before the downtown restaurant opened.

The dogs are doing well.  Last night they entertained themselves (and me) by standing on the deck in the dark and barking barking barking nonstop.  They took turns, which I thought was pretty funny.  I don't think there was anything out there but for all I know it could have been Sasquatch.  Anyway they still take themselves for walks but not as often and for much shorter walks, now that they get a treat every time they come home.  Geez, I wish I got a treat every time I came home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment