Thursday, February 11, 2016

Icy ice palace

That's sand on the ground, not bare dirt
The ice palace in Saranac Lake is a bit smaller this year.  There wasn't enough ice until shortly before the beginning of their Winter Carnival so they put it up in a hurry.  They did a grand job. 

Temp right now is -2, due to drop throughout the night.  The high today was 16, tomorrow's high in single digits and on Saturday the high will be below zero.  Welcome February: it's about time.  I'm so happy we're having this weather now, which gives me hope that winter will be when it's supposed to be and not in March (when I'll be in RI).

I haven't been doing much.  Pedaling my new exercise bicycle, only 20 minutes a day but I'll increase that soon enough. 

I went to Plattsburgh twice this week, lunch there both days.  Today I went to AuSable but just to meet a friend who is borrowing my sewing machine.  I know, it's a surprise that I would have a sewing machine.  I learned how to sew in junior high school, when the entire class had to make a jumper from the same pattern.  We had to actually wear the jumper to school once, too and man was that ever awful.  The teacher measured the hemline to make sure it wasn't too short.  I understand the value of learning how to use a pattern, and how to make clothes, but surely there could have been a different approach.  We had one semester of sewing and one semester of cooking.  In cooking I learned a lot, but that included how to file my finger nails.  I guess these teachers felt they had a captive audience and it was their one chance to turn us into young ladies.  We were not ladies by a long shot.

It will be too cold this weekend and I'll worry about the dogs.  I'll also worry about frozen pipes.  Which will concern me more?  Probably the dogs, I have a great fear that they will wander off into the woods and decide it's too cold to have all 4 paws on the ground at once and I'll never find them.  They don't really spend much time outside when it's below zero, but sometimes they stop in their tracks and refuse to take another step.  Why is sitting down better than walking?  Tess does this more than Treasure--she'll just sit down and wait.  Wait for what?


No comments:

Post a Comment