Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Primary night

I'm watching the news, all about the NH primary election.  We in the North Country like to take ownership of the NH primary because we're nearby.  We also own Bernie Sanders because he's from Vermont.  Tom Brokaw just asked "What does an uncle have to do with the campaign?" when Trump boasted that he has an uncle who's an important professor at MIT.  Give me a break.

I've had a quiet couple of days, even though of course I ran the roads.  Yesterday I went to Saranac Lake to see the ice palace.  I saw it, wasn't terribly impressed and felt bad about that.  They didn't have much time to built it this year because the ice wasn't thick enough.  It's not as tall as it usually is but is magic nevertheless.  I also bought birdseed, where I met a 4-month old puppy named Winter who was cute enough to die for.  Wow was that a sweet pup.  Shepherd mix with something, maybe Lab maybe Rottie.  Sweet, oh so sweet.  But no, I don't want a puppy.  Oh yes, I do, but no I don't.

Today I went to Plattsburgh, had lunch with Julie and another woman.  We went back to the Thai restaurant, where Julie & I used to go every week, until the Japanese restaurant opened.  They were happy to see us and said to come back soon.  The food in both restaurants is good, it's just that the Japanese restaurant is closer to CEF so takes less of Julie's lunch hour.  So tomorrow Julie & I will have lunch again, probably Japanese.  I just realized that I wrote an entire paragraph about the restaurants we have lunch at.  Forgive me.

It's snowing a bit, nothing serious but maybe a couple of inches.  We got about an inch last night, fluffy stuff.  It's 20 right now, was colder this morning and up to 30 during the day.  The subzeros are on the way, will be here by the weekend.  The high on Saturday is predicted to be 7.  Yikes.  I'm so lucky to be at home all the time to keep the stove going.  What a wonderful difference it makes in my life.  The house is always warm.  When I worked it would get down to the low 50's and once in a while the 40's in the living room because I couldn't keep the fire going.  Now it gets too hot too often, such a nice change.  I still have plenty of firewood, nicely stacked by the Holts.

I talked to my mother this morning, wanted to find out how much snow they got in southern RI.  About 5 inches, she thought.  She's getting excited about coming events in March.  My sister, her husband and daughter are going to be in RI to celebrate Liza's 90th birthday (I probably already reported this but wow is it exciting).  I hope it warms up enough for Molly & Paolo, who sure aren't used to cold weather.  I won't go to RI until the week before they arrive, am skipping travel in February.  March is a RI month: a week for Liza's birthday, then a few days for Easter at the end of the month.  April is ROCK AND ROLL. 

Last night I dreamed that I was building a telephone out of sticks and moss so I could call my brother and ask him to bring me my camera.  Well yes, I can't build a phone, and yes, my brother is dead.  I often dream about him and he's always happy.  Sometimes we know he's going to die but we laugh and are cheerful.  I like those dreams of a happy brother.

Not much going on, really.  There are no tracks going down the road past my driveway.  There were 2 bog cars today.  There was a flock of turkeys in the road, which was exciting for the dogs.  I let them loose when I got home and they took off, but not heading toward the turkeys.  Oh I would like to know where they go sometimes (the dogs, not the turkeys).  They take off every morning, running down the driveway, tails a-wagging, and I follow their tracks until they go into the woods.

No big plans for the rest of the week.  I have 2 baskets to stain but was waiting to have enough newspapers to cover the floor.  I think I have nearly enough now.  I bought 2 small books of basket patterns because I lost the notebook that had all of my patterns in it.  Boy does that suck, that was a crucial tool for me.  Now I have to measure and count every time I make a different basket.  Will I make more baskets?  Yes, I will, but what for?  I guess I'll give them away.  I enjoyed making the 2 I just made and that was sort of a surprise.  Maybe enough time has passed since my basket making burnout at the turn of the century.  That would be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment