Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Quiet life

Not a whole lot going on these days.  Lots of ice on driveways, in yards, on some roads.  I've fallen twice at P&J's, my feet went right out from under me.  Once I smacked my head fairly hard, boy did that hurt.  I just fell the other day but Gentleman Joe helped me get up and into my car.  Man that hillside is slick, I park in their driveway now.

Sunday was P&J day, I visited with them, with Bill and Joe for a while, having a nice time.  I didn't do much else that day, but I guess I can say that for most of my recent days.  Yesterday I went to Saranac Lake to the eye doctor (optometrist? ophthalmologist? I don't know which she is).  I have dry macular degeneration, which I already knew.  It's slightly worse than it was 1 1/2 years ago, and there's calcium buildup somewhere in my eye but I can't remember what she said.  Anyway, there are vitamins to take which may halt the progression and in the meantime my vision hasn't deteriorated and my prescription doesn't need to be changed.  I thought that was pretty impressive.  Did not get new glasses.  I get my glasses online, where they are cheap but don't last very long but are much more fun to buy.  If I had a good picture I could load it to the site and try on the frames, but that doesn't happen so I just guess, with some success.  Some.

Last night I had dinner with the Holts, a nice evening.  It was very slick walking down but coming home was better, with the combination of bright moonlight and a flashlight.  We had a lot of fun together, as we always do, lots of laughter.  I had a beautiful walk home, a bit chilly at 7 degrees, but brilliant moonlight and moonshadow.  Love that.

Today I had coffee with Joe, P&J before going to Plattsburgh for a haircut, just my regular (hairdresser: "It's already short enough") trim. Joe left today, sad departure but I'll see him again in May.  I ran a few errands, came home to find my satellite dish receiver was not working.  I messed with it for an hour, called Dish and finally got to speak to an "advanced" technician, who could actually figure out what the problem was.  I need a new receiver.  But, wait, I unplugged it and plugged it back in just ONE MORE TIME, and bingo! it works again.  They've shipped the replacement receiver so I'll have to decide whether to install it when it comes.  If I do that I lose all of my recorded programs.  Is that a bad thing?  Yes and no.  I would hate to lose the 85 episodes of The Larry Sanders Show, but it would be good to have a more reliable receiver.  This one has been a problem before.  Oh the complexities of life in Hawkeye.

Tomorrow it's back to Plattsburgh for lunch with Julie and getting a few groceries.  We're under a winter storm watch, sleet and freezing rain and snow are expected in the morning.  I tend to be pretty calm about these things, always have been relatively calm even when I was commuting.  You have to drive when you have to drive, or you stay home.  It's really that simple.

The dogs are great.  They walk themselves every morning when I come back from getting the newspaper, don't stay out long and come home exhausted.  Tess will be 13 this year but is in very good shape.  She gets her anti-inflammatory med every day and has lots of energy.  Her ACL doesn't seem to be a problem as long as we keep to the routine. So she & I take our meds in the morning.  She gets hers with peanut butter, I get mine with water.

No comments:

Post a Comment