Thursday, February 04, 2016

Warm weather

It's still warm here, 33 right now.  That's down from our overnight temps, but still too warm for this time of year.  It rained and rained yesterday, melting snow and revealing the thick ice underneath.  That is SO typical of March.  Are we really just a month ahead in weather?  I wish I could stop fixating on the weather, but that's what we do (especially in the winter) here in Hawkeye.  We can't fuss about each other, there aren't enough of us, so we study the weather.

Duncan and David reported that there was open water along the shore--not open water on top of ice, but free and open water.  That is very strange.  Someone told me that the ice on a nearby lake was 13" thick, so he thought our ice was probably 10" or so.   Wrong, I guess.

They're leaving today, the end of Winterfest or  Extremefest, their annual winter visit.  I had such a great time with them this year.  I spent a lot of time with them, many meals and lots of laughter.  They are very dear.  Would they like being called "dear?"

Yesterday I was in Plattsburgh for lunch with a friend.  She's having a troubling time so I hoped I could lend her some strength through my support.  There's not a lot you can do sometimes to help people, but she likes having me to talk to and knowing that I really do listen to her and offer soothing comments.  Anyway, it was a quick trip to town in the rain.  Lunch was good.  Today I'll go to AuSable to pick up a package at the post office.  The mail carrier usually delivers packages to my door but I'm sure she didn't want to deal with the icy slope that is my driveway, so today I travel to the Forks.  That's fine with me, as everyone knows I love to run the roads.

Tomorrow I'm taking the car to Burlington for work at the dealer there.  That's where I bought it, and I have confidence in the work they do so off I go.  Lin may go with me, I'm not sure what we'll do while we're there but I bet it will involve a meal.  I started listening to a book, something I haven't done since I retired.  I chose The little Paris bookstore, or some variation of that.  It's OK, too soon to tell, really.  I've been listening to Darius Rucker CD's, I watched a concert of his on VH1 and liked his music.  He switched to country music a long time ago and some of his songs are a bit too country, and they mostly all deal with lost love.  I like them anyway.

I'm watching young girls pick up toys on the Today Show.  I'm not sure what they're supposed to learn by picking up as many toys as they can in 30 seconds, and I'm really not sure why I'm watching this.  I watch too much TV, pretending to keep up with American culture and news.  Really I'm wasting an inordinate amount of time.   I started watching Homeland the other night but wow is it brutal and violent, so I doubt I'll keep up with that.  Prior to that I was watching The Americans, mostly because of Keri Russell.  It, too, is good, but maybe a bit monotonous.  What to watch, what to watch.  How about turning it off?  OH NO.  That won't happen.

 We're having a big celebration in March for my mother's 90th birthday.  My sister, her husband and daughter are coming to America and that's really exciting.  Jenica and her family will be there, and a cousin from California is pretending he'll be there too (I seriously doubt he'll make it).  My mother is freaking out and had refused to plan for it but is now much more excited and planning where we'll all sleep.  Maybe she has figured out that it's next month.  I have the same problem of realizing that March is a month away.  Yikes, can this really have been winter?

The dogs are fine.  Tess is old, 12, and is not the same dog she used to be.  The thing about old dogs is that they are so different from the younger dogs we used to have.  Their behavior changes, their personality is different, and of course their bodies are problematic.  Tess is not exactly grumpy, but she really does want things her way.  She moans and groans a lot and snores very loudly.  She's insistent when she decides she wants something or wants something to happen.  I find it very sweet but it sometimes is truly annoying.  She sleeps a lot and can't run very fast but gives it her best effort when she & Treasure take off down the driveway.

I'm happy.  I like my life.  I'll be more productive one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment