Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Not quite November weather

It's not quite what I like to have in November weather-wise.  I like 40 degree, sunny and windless days.  So far we haven't had that.  Today is gray and 32 but at least it's not windy so it's easy to get the house (too) warm with the fire.

It was 8 Sat. morning with plenty of wind to make it feel very very uncomfortable.  I can get the house warm enough but who wants to go outside in THAT??  Anyway it was fine and I went to the thrift store and did some work there.  I was promoted to bagger!   I had been working in the Christmas loft but was needed as backup at the checkout to bag.  Turns out I have a great talent for putting other people's treasures in bags.  Who knew?  It was nice and I did enjoy the interactions with lots of different people, all (mostly) cheery and happy.

Friday night I had dinner with friends from Albany who have a camp here.  They stayed in their cabin without heat or insulation but they do have a wood stove so insisted on staying there even though I invited them to stay here.  We had a lot of fun at dinner but man was it cold.

I did the boat house laundry at the laundromat on Friday.  Boy there were some odd folks there that day but it was all fine.  Now I have the bedding here--should I make up the bed down there so it would be all set in the spring?  or should I keep the bedding here, handy to be used if/when I have company?  I have enough for both but it's cold enough for me to want to spend as little time down there as possible.  I still have to bring in the porch furniture but did empty the fridge and take garbage to the dump.  I went to the dump yesterday, too, got rid of mass quantities of recyclables that I've neglected to take my last few trips.  Wow my kitchen seems almost empty!

Yesterday I was in Plattsburgh to have my snow tires put on.  Talk about being efficient--there's only a little snow on the ground now but there was black ice on Friday.  Of course snow tires don't do a thing on black ice, staying home is what I did in the early hours.

I had dinner with friends from across the lake on Sunday.  It's relatively rare to have the north shore and south shore mingle but these are long-time friends who are year-round residents so we try to keep in touch in the winter.  I realize I need to reciprocate and have them come to my house but oh boy that seems complicated and like a lot of work.  I will, though, I will.

This is a pretty quiet week for me, tomorrow I'll work at the thrift store in the morning then on Thursday I'll find something entertaining to do.  Friday I'm having lunch with a friend in Plattsburgh.  Saturday is the thrift store again and Sunday night is book group.  I'm making a squash dish for that, we have a Thanksgiving dinner courtesy of the hostess every November. 

Next week I'll be in RI, driving down on Tuesday and staying until the following Monday.  I bought the turkey yesterday (Have Turkey Will Travel), I think I've got pretty much everything I need to take there.  Got the wine Mark & I like yesterday.  Pie fixings all set.  We have our traditions, boy do we have our traditions for Thanksgiving.  It's just Liza, Mark and me but we do it up big and have a really nice time.

I've been taking the dogs for  bog walks every day. My walking partner is away while her husband has surgery in NYC so I'm on my own.  This means I don't go to the gym (except when Annie was here, we went together a few times) so the dogs get the benefit of that because I walk with them instead.

It's November.  I usually like November but this year it's been pretty dreary.  There's a bit of snow on the ground but there's no ice on the lake yet.  That will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment