Monday, November 27, 2017

Post-Thanksgiving post

I got home this afternoon, an uneventful trip from Rhode Island.  Not much traffic, clear roads, all was fine.  Four inches of snow when I got here and a temp of 15--sooo different from the 40- and 50-degree days of RI.  My house was warm and all is just fine (always a relief).  I had laid a fire before I left so that was pretty nifty.

Bear is so so very happy to be home!  He sat on my lap for a long time on the couch but now is curled up at the other end of the couch.  I fear that every time I take him somewhere he wonders if we're moving, or he's moving, or whatever.  He likes it at my mothers (got to swim in the ocean on Thanksgiving) but he is always so surprised and pleased when we get home.  Poor boy.  But now we are home and all is just fine.

Thanksgiving was very nice but we had a plumbing crisis that wasn't resolved until Saturday when the plumber came to find the clog in the kitchen drain (at the septic tank, meaning the tank had to be pumped today).  That had minimal impact on our holiday but it was a little too traumatic for my mother.

Mark and I took the dogs to the beach on Thanksgiving, a sunny warm day perfect for a short walk.  Big loud surf and very high tide.  We bought lobsters on Saturday and looked at the ocean again.  I cooked the lobsters, clams and mussels which were delicious.  We sure did eat turkey a lot of times.  My Martha Stewart pumpkin pie was as good as ever though slightly undercooked this year.  oops.  Mark called it pumpkin pudding.

I did a little Christmas shopping on the way to RI and a little more while I was there.  We went to the art sale we always go to by URI but it wasn't very good this year.  We usually go on Friday or Sat. and this year we didn't get there until Sunday, maybe that was the problem.  It was too much for my poor mother though and she declared that we don't need to go next year.  She's old.

Tomorrow I'm going to the library in Keene Valley, I've agreed to try being the Archivist there part-time.  VERY part-time, I'm hoping.  There are 2 staffers who work there so I don't have to do much.  I'm still unsure just exactly what I'll be doing but I guess I'll supervise projects and get the archives organized or something.  I'll find out tomorrow.  And Wednesday I'll volunteer at the thrift store.  Is that too much?  Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment