Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Cold again

So much for my efforts at keeping this blog current.  Time gets away from me--I've been going to the gym in the early mornings, to the thrift store on Weds. and Sat. mornings and to the Archives on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.  Yikes that's 4 days a week I've committed myself to something.  It's only mornings, though, and it does feel good to be doing something (and even getting paid for some of it).

It's 7 right now and due to drop below zero tonight.  Today was sunny and in the teens with a very cold and strong wind.  Not very pleasant.  I walked with the dogs to the Holts' house to check on a furnace issue.  That was nice but chilly.  When I went back to see if my "fix" worked I drove even though it felt sort of silly. 

I went to the movies on the weekend and on Monday.  I have 2 friends who are movie buddies, we see films together in the winter.  On Sunday we saw The Post, which was excellent but amazingly moving for me.  Reminders of those times affect me pretty strongly.  It was very very good.  On Monday we saw Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri, which is also excellent but in very different ways.  It's a disturbing film but boy the acting is wonderful.  I don't like violence on the big screen so there were some scenes I didn't like but mostly I just thought it was really good.

Whew!  2 films in 2 days, that really threw me off.  I thought Monday was Sunday and that threw me off for the whole week.  Now I'm ready to have tomorrow be Thursday.  I'm meeting my friend at the gym at 6:45 (we'll go to Stewarts for coffee afterward, we are officially regulars there now).  After that it's off to the Archives, where we'll scan old photographs.  That's an entertaining undertaking, we laugh a lot and puzzle over the significance of portraits of individuals who are just named with no descriptors or dates.  "It must be important, it's in the Archives" is our joke.

The dogs are just fine but I'm irritated with Bear because I fed the birds today and he will NOT stop eating the seed that fell on the ground.  Big PIG.  They ate a lot of frozen rotten apples today and I wondered if there would be any effects, like maybe drunkenness but no, they're stone cold sober.  I had a dog who ate something that had fermented once and she got very drunk.  I didn't realize that's what it was--she wagged her tail and staggered around a bit, then fell into a deep and snoring sleep.  I asked the vet about it later and he diagnosed it easily: she was drunk. 

So we're heading back into the cold weather after a lot of rain yesterday.  There wasn't as much ice as I expected so that was a relief.  We still have plenty of snow--I always say "there must be at least a foot" but I never measure it.  I just know there's a lot on the ground and big piles where it's been plowed.  And it's winter.

I

No comments:

Post a Comment