Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Last Beatles song

My favorite New Year's Day activity is to listen to "The Beatles A to Z" on a Vt. radio station.  I missed the first song but stayed until the last at 8 p.m. (it takes at least 8 hours for them to play all the songs--a very impressive catalog of recordings).  What was it?   Your Mother Should Know.  I took care of cleaning tasks, wrote some stuff, balanced bank accounts, did odds and ends of things until I ran out of things to do while listening to the radio.  You can't just sit on the couch and listen to the radio, you have to be DOING something, right?  Anyway I listened to probably 80-85% of the songs with great joy.

I've had a cold for the last few (several?) days.  I don't know where it came from but my doctor friend tells me that a cold virus can live a long time on various surfaces so that must be the ticket for me.  I don't mind colds, this one was not bad either but viruses always settle in my asthmatic lungs and I cough and cough and cough.  And now I'm out of Robitussen.  I'll get some in the morning and hope for a peaceful night.

It was -12 this morning (oh how tiresome, these temperature reports) but got up to 12 by afternoon.  It snowed for most of the day and we ended up with a couple of inches.  We're entering the Snow Zone, when it snows an inch or two or three every day.  There is more than a foot of snow on the ground now.

Friends stopped by yesterday, they were up from Albany for the day and skied on the lake.  They had an auger and drilled a hole in the 14-inch thick ice 10 feet from shore.  Some people say it's thickest next to shore and that's still not thick enough to go out very far.  I have no idea--I'm wary and just follow other people's footprints onto the ice.  It's too cold now anyway, I'm not even tempted to head out there.

It's been a busy time since I got back from RI but things have quieted down.  Today I went to Keene Val. to work in the Archives there.  There's a wonderful patron who comes in with his toddler on Tuesdays who helps me figure out how to get the scanning program to work and today he showed me how to access and edit the images we scanned when I was last there.  Thank goodness for good neighbors!  It was great to get so much done.  I'll be back there Thursday to scan more photos and the routine begins.

Tomorrow I'm heading to the gym at 7:30 then will go to the thrift store in Wilmington to volunteer.  I haven't been there in a while, since before Christmas.  Not sure what they'll need to have me do, the Christmas Loft may need some packing up or maybe there are a lot of donations that need to be stored for next year.  Who knows.  I'm less enthusiastic about working there now that I've made the commitment to work Tues. and Thursday mornings.  Maybe I'll cut back to one day a week.  Who knows.

The dogs don't mind the sub-zeros too much--Treasure wanders easily in the cold but Bear doesn't stay out long before he starts to suffer and play the "I can't put all 4 paws on the ground at once" game.  Funny boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment