Sunday, June 17, 2018

Oh what a beautiful morning

When I was in 5th grade we had a teacher named Pearl Prout, who fancied herself to be quite a musician.  There was a piano in the classroom and she thought Liberace was the greatest pianist of all time.  Anyway we had to sing a solo, accompanied by her on the piano.  What a horrible thing!  I sang "Oh what a beautiful morning" and she was thrilled by my performance and gave me an EXCELLENT on that.  My one shining moment in elementary school.  I never was much good at singing but now I sing loudly (LOUDLY) in my car, which probably hurts the dogs' ears a lot but it feels good.

It's a busy time in the 'hood, there seem to be a lot, LOT LOT of people here.  Isn't it early for summer traffic?  I've been walking the bog (as opposed to walking the dog, only the dogs go along) every morning with friends, sometimes one friend and sometimes 2 friends.  I'm waiting for a friend to call this morning so we can head out together.  Bear is very antsy and eager to go.

Had a lovely dinner with friends last night--these friends have a beautiful house near the top of a mountain with a magnificent view of the bluffs at the foot of Silver Lake.  It was a gorgeous evening, we sat outside for a while before dinner, and the view from their dining room is really grand.  Good food, great friends, a really nice time.  I made my signature cheesecake and that was good.

Today is Father's Day and I have very few friends who still have fathers though I have many friends who are fathers.  My father died in 1981, so long ago.  He was 68 and took a fairly long time to die, poor man.  I did get to have an adult relationship with him and we enjoyed each other's company the last few years of his life.

Tomorrow I'm going to a retirement luncheon for the former director, it will be full of member library directors.  Do I want to spend an afternoon with them?  Not so much but then I'll be reminded of what nice people they are (mostly)(nasty comment) and the luncheon is at someone's house on Lake Champlain so it will be pretty.  It's 45 minutes from my house, man I do a lot of driving.

I worked at the thrift store yesterday but it was sort of slow and I was sort of bored so I only stayed 2 hours.  Felt bad leaving but not bad enough to stay.  I had lunch with friends at a nice restaurant in Upper Jay, that was a treat. 

Dogs are fine, I'm fine, the 3 of us are happy.  I got the boat house opened up and the bed half made so maybe I'll sleep down there tonight.  It's supposed to be a hot day and hot night tonight.  Too hot to mow the lawn, rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment