Saturday, June 09, 2018

What happened to me?

Not much of anything unusual happened to me, I've just been negligent.  I'm working at the Archives, scanning photos and attaching metadata to an online spreadsheet so they can be posted online.  I volunteer at the thrift store 2 mornings a week but cannot stay the full 5 hours it's open so I leave feeling guilty while others stay and work and work and work.  I can't stand for that many hours, my poor feet and knees complain.  I come home after 3 hours and lie on the couch for an hour to recover from my brief stint.

I'm still walking in the mornings with my friend--now that the weather's good and it's light early in the morning we tend to walk outside.  Our favorites are the bog near my house, a boardwalk through a gorgeous forest where the dogs feel proprietary and free, and a logging road near her house where the dogs feel excited and wonderfully brave and explore the woods.  I walked the bog alone with the dogs (a contradiction no?) at 6:30 or so this morning and it was truly lovely.  The ferns and bracken are getting tall and are starting to bloom.  Their blossoms are far from pretty but it's a sign of the seasons moving along.  Bunchberries and Labrador tea are in bloom.

I started opening the boat house yesterday afternoon.  The weather has been up and down, some nights in the 40's but then some very hot and humid days.  I haven't been very tempted to spend time at the boat house but decided to swim Bear and get the opening process started.  I left a pretty good mess at the end of last year but mostly things are OK.  It needs a day of cleaning from me and a trip to the dump.  Not a big deal but getting me to do it won't be so easy I'm afraid.

No big plans coming up.  I went to a workshop yesterday on collecting and preserving photographs.  Spent 2 hours on the history of photography because that's what the presenter's specialty was.  Well I don't really care what kind of processing the 7000 photos we're scanning had and they're about as preserved as they're ever going to be, in some kind of "preserving" plastic sleeves.  Too many of them to put in newer, better sleeves so there they'll be.  There are a lot of photos from the late 1800's and early 1900's, then we hit a batch from the 1980's so it's always an adventure.  So far we've scanned 1200 images but I haven't kept up with the metadata for all of them.  Keep getting distracted by other tasks.

It's a gorgeous day, due to be 70's and sunny.  The lake was beautiful yesterday afternoon when I put the boat house porch together.  Linda is here and we've had some nice visits.  Other summer friends are in residence and it's wonderful to be with them.  Today is the Belmont but we'll celebrate more quietly than some years.  That's fine, I watch horse races with great trepidation, fearing for the safety of the poor but beautiful horses.  Do I care if Justify becomes a Triple Crown winner?  Not really, I didn't watch the Preakness.  It's entertaining anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment