Sunday, June 24, 2018

Sunday afternoon

My sister often says on a Sunday morning "I'm glad I don't have to go to church today."  We used to dress up all fancy-like, anklets (until nylon stockings), nice shoes, good dresses and of course something on our heads--a requirement in the high-church that was Emmanuel Episcopal in those days.  We sang in the choir, we taught Sunday school, we were members of the Youth Group, man we did it all.  Then it all came to a grinding halt when we left home.  I realized that organized religion was not something I wanted to be part of, and the church I had invested so much emotion, time and energy in was not representing my true self or my spiritual needs AT ALL.  The part that really got me was "we are not worthy so much as to gather up the crumbs under Thy table."  I didn't need any more proof that I was not worthy.  Anyway, now I'm an atheist and I don't struggle with any of it.

I've had a peaceful day so far, I woke at dawn (4:30) but stayed in bed frustrating the dogs until 6:30.  Did NOT go for a walk or even really entertain them but instead went to AuSable for supplies and gas.  Went to see the neighbors, then went to Linda's to help her open her upper camp.  She has company coming this week.  I didn't really do much but it's so much nicer and easier to do those chores with help.

I'm having friends come for snacks and wine to the boat house porch in a couple of hours.  It's not the nicest day weather-wise but it's always pretty there no matter what's happening. 

I had a busy day yesterday, started with a walk to camp to swim the dogs.  I went to breakfast with friends then came home for a bit before driving to Keene to visit with a recently-retired friend who is having some trouble adjusting to the huge, HUGE change that retirement is.  Came home then went to dinner with friends, to a newly opened bar/restaurant.  That wasn't a very good idea.  It was loud and the food wasn't very good--but we had to at least TRY it.  We've scratched that itch.

Looks like a pretty quiet week ahead for me.  Appointment with the eye doctor tomorrow in Saranac Lake after a quick trip to the dump.  Work, thrift store, hot weather coming.  Next week is the 4th of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment