Monday, November 26, 2018

And wait for it...it's coming again

Another storm is predicted for tonight and tomorrow.  A foot, maybe more.   maybe less.  Do they ever really know?

I'm home today from my Thanksgiving trip to Rhode Island.  I had a good time, Thanksgiving was nice.  Started with a beach walk with the dogs, a very abbreviated walk because it was 10 degrees and very windy, so windy that I cut it short.  I didn't take my winter clothes to RI because you never need those at Thanksgiving.   WRONG.  Anyway we had another, nicer and longer beach walk later on and the dogs had a great time.  They don't get to run free at my mother's house, there's a pen for them but that's all they get for exercise.  And it's a small pen.  Mark and I try to get them to the beach at least twice a week when I'm there.

My drive down was fine, I went through Worcester and it was a shorter trip but too many miles spent on the Mass Pike to suit me.  I went on Tuesday.  Wednesday, of course we went to town, just a quick trip.  Thanksgiving was fine with a 10.5 pound turkey.  Mark did a lot of the cooking and the food was all great.

Friday we went to town of course, several stops including the grocery store for my mother to do her weekly shopping.  It was cold here at home, -10 reported to me, -21 in Saranac Lake I think.  I worried and fretted about my house.  I had left all my baseboard heaters as high as they would go but sill I worried.  For naught.

Anyway on Saturday my niece, her daughter (4 years old) and her husband came for the afternoon and evening.  In the morning Mark & I went to the seafood store for lobsters and clams, yummy delicious small littlenecks and lobsters from cold water.  We all had a good visit, such a nice time with my family.  The little girl is a wonder and is just as sweet as a child can be.  Who's one of her best friends?  TREASURE!  They left after lobsters, went to Mystic Aquarium on Sunday before they headed home for Potsdam.  A lot of driving.

We had a quiet Sunday, mostly read, visited, I struggled for hours with the Sunday crossword puzzle.  Did I finish it?  Only with help from an atlas and Wicktionary, and even then there were 4 empty spaces.  Oh my.  

It warmed up considerably.  My friend came to check on my house on Thanksgiving and reported that it was warm and fine, then she returned this morning and reported that the living room temp was 79.  Well OK so I spent a fortune needlessly heating my house but my pipes did NOT freeze so that was swell.  My friend laid a fire for me and brought in mail and delivered packages.  How lucky I am to have a kind, generous and considerate friend. 

Now the temp outside is 32, the living room is 69 and I just lit the fire.  I've turned off all the heaters.  Man oh man am I glad I had the insulation sprayed under the house!

The dogs were so very very happy to be home.  Bear whined nearly the whole way from Albany to the house.  I thought he was desperate to pee so stopped at a rest area but oh no, he didn't HAVE to, he just sniffed a lot and peed a little.  What a pig.   I assume he was sick of being in the car.  Well hells bells so was I!

So we're supposed to have this storm tonight (it's raining right now) and tomorrow.  I'm supposed to go to Keene Valley to work in the morning, let's wait and see what the conditions are.  It feels as if I've been gone for a very long time but of course it's just about a week.  I'll be going back to RI for Christmas and will spend almost a week there then.  What will I set the heat at?  Oh such a good question.

No comments:

Post a Comment