Monday, January 21, 2019

Cold, getting colder

It's -11 right now (1:30 a.m.) and getting colder.  I'm awake, slept for a few hours but then something (with 4 legs) woke me up.  I was hoping to catch the lunar eclipse but it's too cloudy.  Treasure went out and barked at the moon--or else she was just barking because her toes were cold.  I'm glad I got up to feed the stove, the living room is getting chilly.  I brought in firewood before going to bed, but not much.  Rats.

We ended up with a lot of snow, at least 18 inches.  It's powder.  My plow man came twice so my driveway is in great shape.  The car is a lump of snow but it started at -5 when I moved it so he could plow.  It will start at -11 too, though when it's -20 you lose your radio stations and have to reset them all.  I don't know how cold it's supposed to get but they were yammering on and on about wind chills in the -20's on the weather report at 6 p.m.  Whatever it turns out to be is what it will be.  Summer people always say how lucky I am to live in god's country.  Well yes, this is god's country but sometimes it's pretty hostile.  I'm so lucky I don't have to go anywhere today and I don't have to worry about frozen pipes as long as I keep the water flowing.  I can't say enough about the success of the spray foam insulation I had installed last summer.  Man what a difference!

I'll shovel again when it gets light, right now there's a very narrow path down the deck stairs and through thigh-deep snow to the wood shed.  OK, maybe not THIGH deep, but knee deep at least.  The plow piles are taller than my car, man there's a lot of snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment