Friday, September 16, 2016

Not frosty yet

It was 39 this morning, not the frost that was predicted.  I'm eager to have a frost, hoping it will kill off the ragweed so endearing to Tess.  This was close but not quite.  We've had heavy mist in the morning, some even up here at my house but a lot on the lake.  I went swimming with Linda yesterday--water temp was 71, air temp in the 60's.  The water felt cold at first, but after moving around a bit it was really lovely.  Getting out, not so lovely, but the sun is still warm though much lower in the sky.

I went to 2 farm stands with Duncan & Sue yesterday morning, a nice outing.  Bought corn, cider, squash, yellow carrots and apples.  Yum.  Got cider donuts for Linda and her company, very nice.  We had a group breakfast at Duncan & Sue's, "Hawkeye, party of 9?" was a  big success.  We ate in front of the fire, in the living room, while Linda cooked pancakes on the outside porch.  Lots of food, lots of good friends, a great time.

Today I'm going to Plattsburgh for lunch with Barb, always fun.  I have to get dog food (didn't I just DO that?) and some staples for my staple gun.  Yes, I swear one of these days I will actually crawl under the house and staple up the insulation that's drooping.  Yes, I will.  No, really.

I've had fires in my stove for the last couple of days, standard for mid-September.  They're not terribly effective fires, I'm not in hot fire mode just yet.  Just taking the chill out of the living room I guess.

Yesterday afternoon I did something so un-like me: I took a long nap.  Man it felt delicious but threw me off completely.  I ended up at Linda's at 8 p.m., which is normally the time I'm getting ready for bed.  We sat in front of the campfire for a while (thankfully, no one broke into song), then went inside.  She has friends from Michigan visiting, very nice and happy people I enjoy visiting with.  The neighborhood is slowly emptying out, Jim & Judy left recently, the last renters at the Owl have left, the last of the Holts' renters have left.  Our camp is quiet and cold.  Not sure if I'll sleep in the boat house again this fall, I don't savor cold mornings there.  No progress on closing camp, I don't think that will happen any time soon.  Still food in the fridge in main camp and in the boat house, dock still in, nothing going on there.

Supposed to be warm today, in the mid-70's (is that different from 75?), even warmer tomorrow but maybe some rain in the afternoon.  We've had wonderful weather this September.  Not too warm for the mice to move into the house, though.  I caught #13 this morning, a small one, member of a new generation, just swell.

No comments:

Post a Comment