Saturday, September 03, 2016

Warning: severe canine intestinal distress

I cut up a bunch of cucumbers but had some left (quite a few left) in a bag too close to the floor last night.  While I was indulging in oysters at Linda's the dogs ate at least 20 cukes.  I Googled "dogs and cucumbers" to see that no, cukes aren't harmful to dogs, but in large amounts could cause "soft stools."  Or maybe explosive diarrhea all over the floor all over the house.  No, it didn't warn about that, but that's what happened last night.  I spent most of the night letting the dogs out and in and out and in and cleaning up what didn't make it outside.  Oh honestly.  Poor Tess had a very bad time, Treasure wasn't as anxious to get outside RIGHT AWAY.  Anyway, that's all in the past and now they're exhausted and so am I.

I made my pickles this morning, I think they're too salty but will wait to taste them again to be sure.  Once many, many years ago my ex-husband wanted to have a stone crock of pickles at the sawmill for everyone to gather around.  We got the cukes, and he'd read somewhere that you had to have your salt concentration in the water enough to float an egg.  That's not true, no, that's not true.  We ended up burying the huge crock of (what could barely be called) pickles.  That was the end of that dream.

Right now I have  Yard Boy pulling up blackberry bushes in my yard.  He advertised in the local online news-thing, and I scooped him right up.  He's very nice and is hard at work while I do nothing.  I usually feel obligated to visit with or at least keep company with people who are doing work at my house but today I really don't have the energy or interest in doing that.  He's not local, his mother lives in Upper Jay and he's from Conn.  I'll probably never see him again, he's between jobs right now and just trying to pick up some cash.  I think we're a perfect fit.

It's a gorgeous September day.  It was 44 this morning, which felt way too chilly but I'd better get used to that, huh.  Now it's 73 and sunny with a slight breeze.  And crystal clear with a blue blue sky.  Oh my I do love September.

No comments:

Post a Comment