Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Reckless but not endangered

I left the car key in the "on" position Sat. night so Sunday I had a dead battery.  A very dead battery.  Joe & I tried jumping it but that just didn't work.  I hitched a ride to P&J's at noon, then walked home from there.  It's a little more than a mile and it was  beautiful sunny day so I sort of enjoyed the walk.  The first half is a pretty steep hill, though, so of course I was asthmatic after getting home.

Lin picked me up for book group Sun. night and we went to Linda's for dinner.  Really nice time, it was our last real meet before Linda leaves so we decided to have dinner together at my house in 2 weeks.  A farewell to Linda.  Hard to believe she's leaving soon.  Oh my.

Yesterday I was at Fred's for coffee with Linda and poor Joe was worried when he couldn't get in touch with me so he came to my house (where I wasn't).  When I got home Joe came over and we tried starting the car again, no luck again.  I called a tow truck and rode to Plattsburgh with my car.  Took it to the Subaru dealer there (instead of the Burlington dealership I've been taking my car to for the last 2 years), waited 3 hours, feeling fortunate that they were going to fix it the same day.  We'd blow a fuse and the battery was beyond charging so I got a new battery & fuse, plus they threw in a free car wash.  The most expensive car wash I've had in a long time.  Anyway, the car is back to herself and all is fine.  I could afford the cost, even have enough left over to buy a new pair of sunglasses.

Last night was lamb dinner at Linda's, a nice evening with other friends.  I left before the debate really started, I wasn't that interested in watching it anyway, and I knew it would be loud and probably unpleasant so I just went home.  And didn't watch it.

This morning I got up early but fell asleep on the couch and slept for THREE HOURS.  Yikes.  It was very strange.  Sound asleep, very detailed dreams.  I got up, went to Plattsburgh and ran a few errands before stopping by campaign headquarters for our Congressional candidate to make phone calls for an hour.  I was supposed to stay longer but I got sort of bored.  It was in the afternoon so of course most people weren't home.  I did talk to 6 or 7 people, and only one person hung up on me.  Do I think I was effective?  Maybe for 1 or 2 of the people I spoke with.  Who knows.  If I were really committed I'd go door-to-door but I'm not in the mood for that these days.  So I'll go back on Thursday and make some more unanswered phone calls.

The fall color is coming along.  Early morning sun through yellow leaves is beautiful in my yard, a bright glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment