Thursday, April 20, 2006

Two of my favorites
This is Ken and Duncan. Duncan is a former camper who now owns (with another former camper) one of the two camps that's just below my house. This is a copy of a picture taken by David (another camper) last year on the porch of our camp, when I had Duncan and David come for Sunday dinner. Duncan and David come every year, along with some other men for "Workfest," a long weekend in the spring to get the camp ready for the summer. They are all incredibly cute in the way they interact with each other. I love being around them and the way they allow me to be sort of an honorary member of their group. I don't share their history as a camper, but I share their history of the lake and I remember lots of stuff about their camp. We used to sit in our canoe on the water and watch and listen to their dances on Saturday nights. Who knew it was Linda and Bill who were the emcees for those dances, whose voices I was listening to announcing "Now the next dance will be Ladies' Choice!" Anyway, of all the men who come Duncan and David are my favorites. They are both incredibly cute and wonderful and are really nice to Ken. They appreciate him in ways I really like to see. Plus they appreciate me in ways I like to be appreciated. They make a special visit in the late fall, just the two of them, pretending that it's "Extreme Workfest," but they never really get much work done, they usually just have a really good time. David has his own business in computer graphics something and he once took a picture of Duncan and Bill sitting in the living room of Duncan's camp and put Bush and Rumsfeld's heads on the bodies, with a small framed photo of Cheney hanging on the wall. It's really funny. Last year he made us all t-shirts advertising Hawkeye Spring Water with a picture of the woman who owned the boys' and girls' camp (long dead) and an incredibly complicated description of the spring water (non-existent) you could buy. He's very clever. These men are all married or I would be chasing them around the block.

It's another beautiful day. Today I will finish cataloging things like a 1969 book on karate for boys and a 1972 book on stage makeup for the Tupper Lake library. And these are leftover from their "massive weeding project."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:55 AM

    I had a faculty member clamoring to know if the math books we weeded were from the "landmark new math in Illinois in the 50's".

    I said, "No, but I think my dad and aunts did that 'new math', and I don't think they thought it was very successful."

    The faculty member was nonplussed.

    Ah, weeding!

    ReplyDelete