Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Early to rise
For some reason I woke at 5 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. Tess was thrilled, put her nose right next to mine and breathed carbon dioxide into me, then slipped her tongue oh-so-quickly up my lip. pig. I hate it when she licks me and she knows it but she just can't resist, especially face to face like that, first thing in the morning. The Dog Whisperer would have a field day with me.

I had a very productive hour and a half until 6:30, cleaning the bathroom, living room and part of the kitchen. I'm having David and Duncan come for dinner and they've never seen my house. When I look at it through the eyes of someone like that, seeing my house for the first time, I'm appalled, but there's only so much I can do. I have no closets, hence nowhere to put things. I have a place that was supposed to be the library but instead it's full of plastic tubs, backpacks and tote bags, an unfinished chair, a rotten extra chair, a wooden box full of letters & papers, jigsaw puzzles, books and lots of other things. I don't know where to put these things but suspect that they will end up in the master bedroom, which will become my storage area now that there is no bed there. I think I'll start with that movement this afternoon. I'm hoping to leave at 2:30 and continue cleaning--company comes at 6. Menu=meatloaf, asparagus (broiled in olive oil), salad, boiled new potatoes with parsley, and ice cream with homemade chocolate sauce & whipped cream. I have to stop for wine on the way home. David is no longer drinking so I had to buy seltzer and ginger ale to give him a choice. I didn't get Southern Comfort for Ken because I don't want that in my house (blech).

And now I'm at work and there's too much tension between one librarian and the director. It's making me very nervous because it reminds me of my time with the former director. It's like work hell by association. I'm so thrilled it's not me--I'm really enjoying working for this director, but I feel awful that it's happening. Stay in my cubicle, stay in my cubicle.

My rose bush is blooming! This is really nice. Last year it had barely any blossoms but this year it's much better. Still not what it used to be but when you walk past it you can smell the wonderful scent of tea roses. I love it. No pictures today, of course I ran out of time, and besides, it's very dark and raining.

Today I'll catalog very peacefully. I finished the Collection Development Policy and it was given to the board last night. The director was pleased with it and told the board about 3 times that I had written it and done a wonderful job. They approved our Lost In Circ. Policy so now we can start charging people who lose our books. We're giving amnesty for the $30,000 worth of lost materials we currently have out there.

I finished The Hawk Eye, the newsletter of the shoreowners' association. I picked it up from Staples yesterday and folded, taped, put mailing labels and stamps on 96 copies last night. Today I mail it to everyone. It's not an issue I'm particularly proud of, but it's not bad for the amount of effort I put into it. I forgot two really important articles so we'll have to do another one soon, but that will be a good thing.

And now it's off to coffee with the director and the four librarians. I'm trying to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment