Monday, June 26, 2006

It couldn't have been better
I had a great weekend. The weather was fantastic--80 and sunny. Friday night I had my physical therapy, which was torture and I'm not sure is helping much, but my knee is getting stronger. Right knee definitely weaker than left knee so who can argue with strengthening it. I went to dinner with my male friends at their camp: Duncan, David, John, Ed and Paul (the published author). Ken was there and Bill showed up later. I really adore Duncan and David so it was great to see them. It was Greek night so we had kabobs and this huge, huge salad with feta cheese. Duncan kept passing it around, saying "Have some Greek salad!" It was nice to be part of their group.

Saturday morning I read on my deck in the sun for a little while, then my cousin Tom showed up. It was Work Weekend at camp and no one but Tom and Bill showed up, naturally. Tom's business partner from France, Laurent was also here. Tom, Laurent and I drove Tom's huge truck towing a trailer with the remnants of the old shower house to the dump and unloaded it there. That took a long time. Then we went to camp, where my ex-inlaws and Bill were working. Keela (ex-mother in law) was pulling weeds, something she loves to do. Jim was standing around getting ready to tell everyone what to do (something he loves to do). Tom had brought his pretty big tractor and they had a load of gravel delivered so chores for the day were to remove trees that were to be cut up, remove piles of rotten firewood from around the camp (plenty of those), remove debris left from shower house and spread gravel around driveway and road going into camp. I mowed around main camp. I toted and hauled with the rest of them but I am so not as strong as they all are. They were incredible. I worked from 11 until 4:30 and could do no more. They went on until 7:30, putting in the docks as a final project. Keela did a fantastic job of cleaning off the rocks on the path going to the boathouse--they were practically invisible because of the grass growing over them. They look great now, the way I wish my stone path looked. Jim did a lot of gravel raking. Tom drove the tractor and the rest of us hauled stuff to and loaded up the tractor. Whew! Keela fed us dinner, then everyone went home and I slept in the boat house.

Yesterday morning I got up at 7 and had the place to myself. Set myself up on the dock at 8 in wonderful sunlight with the lake like glass and no one on it. Read for 3 hours, swam (barely), found the thermometer Molly brought from Italy (it was tied to the dock, Jenica). It said the water was 70 degrees but I can't believe that. It was cold but not unbearable. I went to Sunday dinner, which was quick because Bill had stuff to do. I was back at camp at 2 and Bill and Laurent showed up to finish everything. I asked Bill to move an annoying rock in my driveway with the tractor and he did--wowie jet what a difference it makes! I used to hit that rock with my undercarriage sometimes and now have to retrain myself not to drive into the bushes on that stretch.

They left, I cleaned a little bit at home (Duncan and David are coming to dinner Tuesday night), talked to Liza, then went back to the boat house for the night. What a satisfying weekend! I need to get more work done at my house, but it was good to contribute to work effort at camp. The grounds look much better now. They even moved a pile of birch logs by the boat house, even though I told them that was a boat house job, not a camp job. They're so cute.

Now I'm rewriting the Collection Development Policy for the 3rd time, but I think this may be the last. Raining today, supposed to rain all week. Board meeting tonight. They'll discuss the policy I wrote on Lost Items. Hopefully they'll approve it so we can start billing in ernest for stuff people "can't find."

No comments:

Post a Comment