Monday, June 12, 2006

This is the way the weather makes Chances feel.













This is the only thing Tess feels like doing in this weather.











This is what Tess did when she heard the sun is supposed to shine later this week.

This is how Chances reacted to news of sunshine. I don't think she believes it will really happen.












Domestic bliss
Maybe the meds are kicking in, because even though I wasn't terribly productive this weekend, I did clean my bathroom, sort clothes, do a small load of laundry (with great trepidation: I still haven't looked down my well, but feel confident enough, based on my conservative use of water, that there's enough to do only small loads every few days), and, get this: VACUUMED my living room and kitchen. Yes, now I can stop talking about it. A relief to all of you, I know. I didn't accomplish much more, but exercised my brain with crosswords (and read in two more places how important it is to do crosswords to keep your brain in shape and improve your memory). I watched The Interpreter, with Sean Penn and Nicole Kidman. I really like him and I really don't like her but it was a respectable movie. It was on HBO, I still haven't watched the films I have on DVD.

I did not go to the memorial service. I feel badly, but it was raining and I did not feel like driving to Plattsburgh on my day off. I don't feel this makes me a bad person, nor do I feel that I didn't go because HE wouldn't have gone to my memorial service if the situation were reversed. I'm sorry I didn't go because his daughter would have liked it, and because I should have gone to represent the organization. But I refuse to feel guilty. Just sorry that I didn't go. I'm lazy, not bad.

My friend Peter stopped by to invite me to his house on Saturday. He does this periodically. Sometimes I go and sometimes I don't. I usually know some of the people there, seldom do I know all the people there. The woman from the next camp down from ours called to invite me to dinner Saturday. Fred and Ken would be there. She's a caterer and an excellent cook and I haven't seen her since last year. You can guess which invitation I accepted. I went to Ann's and had a wonderful time. I love visiting with Fred and look forward to seeing him a lot this summer when he lives at Silver Lake ALL the time. We watched the Belmont, which was a boring race because neither the Derby nor Preakness winners ran it. It had been a cold, miserable day but Ann had been stoking 2 fires all day so the camp was nice and warm. Good food and good company (and good rum). I really enjoyed it.

Sunday dinner was pleasant with Bill and Ken, then 2 of my favorite campers stopped by on their way home. They're from Canandaigua (Finger Lakes). He's a glassblower and she's a nurse/training. I just adore both of them. They were each married before--she to another glassblower, what are the odds. They each have a camp on the lake. His was his parents', hers is one of the cabins from the girls' camp at the end of the lake. Anyway, I had a really great visit with them. They spent 2 weeks in Italy this spring so we talked about Venice, Rome, gelato and how much we love Italy. It was really nice. Then we talked a lot about other things, then Ken told some stories (which he does in a much more animated and entertaining way when he has more than just me as an audience). I finally figured that out, and know now that if I want to capture any of his anecdotes on tape I will have to do it at social gatherings rather than during the evenings we spend alone together. I tried taping him but his style wasn't as good. It didn't seem to be the presence of the recorder, just the way he told the stories.

I did my physical therapy exercises last night--did not do them on Saturday. Oops. They're really very easy and don't take long at all. My knee muscles were sore on Friday from the workout on Friday, but it felt good to have done something constructive. I rode the stationary bicycle, pushed against this sled-type thing, stood on my bad leg and threw a weighted ball, slid down the wall, did leg-lifts and did some other stuff. More activity than I've had since Julie and I used to go to Butts 'n Guts excercise class at the Y a few years ago. I'm hoping this will motivate me to do things like...STACK MY FIREWOOD! It's just sitting there in a big soggy pile.

Now I need to get motivated to do something about work. I was thinking maybe today I would work on a collection development policy. Is that too lofty a goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment