Friday, June 30, 2006

It's Friday, people!
Some disk jockey used to start his show like that--who was it? I just finished the work of my clerks, both of whom are off today. I've asked them not to be out at the same time because it makes it hard for me to do their jobs and mine, but of course they wanted a long weekend and could I really be a bitch and say no? No, that's not my style. So I spent 2 1/2 hours doing interlibrary loan, including filling out mailing labels. But now it's done and I have to catalog little plastic animals. Hard to tell which is worse, no?

Spent the night in the boat house last night. It was hot when I got home, but got pretty chilly once I was down there. Actually was under a blanket sitting on the porch once it got dark. It was a restless night--the dogs kept barking and barking at noises in the woods, once at 12:30 and again at 4, then at 5. They were sure something terrible was happening there but all I heard was rustling. It made me have weird dreams, though--first I thought/dreamed that thieves were there, but then I realized that they'd already robbed us twice so there was nothing left to take. Then I decided my cousins had arrived (unannounced, of course) and didn't see my car so didn't know enough to be QUIET! When I got up at 6:30 of course there was no one there. I took a quick dip (dip in the most earnest sense of the word) and left for home. So it was not a restful night.

Nor was it a restful morning: I forgot to get gas last night, and after I left for work I realized I didn't even have enough to go the 10 miles to the gas station, so I had to turn around to use the gas I keep for the lawn mower and emergencies. That got me to the gas station, where I had to take the time to fill up (and get coffee, natch) so I was 10 minutes late to work. Oh well, there are only 5 of us here today so the director is grateful for anyone she can get.

There were 3 mergansers swimming past the boat house at dusk. It was really cool--I heard a strange splashing sound when they surfaced, then they swam about 2' from the end of the dock with their heads half submerged so they could watch for fish. Tess watched with great fascination but when she went out the screen door she slammed it behind her and they flew away, quacking with great indignation. I wonder if they're the ones who've been pooping on the dock: someone sure has! Yuck.

I had physical therapy last night and amazed not only my therapist by myself as well. Did 5 minutes on the elliptical, which doesn't sound like much but I'd struggled to do 3 at first. Did 30 reps of almost everything. Still can't stand on my right foot & toss the weighted ball, though--5 times is my record. Julie finally admitted that she can't really do that, either. The rat! Anyway I was winded & had to use my inhaler, which means I got a good workout, and I felt good. Stopped at Ken's and had a nice visit with him (so I don't have to stop there tonight). Tonight I'll eat at home, then head to the b.house for the night and hopefully tomorrow, which is predicted to be a dock day. Yes, that's the meteorological term they use, Dock Day. 82 and sunny.

Saturday Linda comes, as does Ken's nephew Joe and who knows how many other people. A lot. The lake will be busy and sort of icky, but I can tune some of it out. The jet skis haven't been bad yet this year, it's the party boats that have been driving me crazy. Putt, putt, putt, right past the dock, about 20 feet from the end, staring at me and the dogs. Last night Tess, then Chances took off in the water after 2 kayakers. First the yakers thought it was endearing but when I told them Tess might try to climb into their boat the man got really nervous. I told him to splash her with his paddle. "You really want me to do that?" If you want to. "How far can she swim?" I don't know, I've never put her to the test. "I don't think I could swim that far." (about 35'--pathetic)

Back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment