Thursday, June 08, 2006




A little bit of heaven

We all have our own ideas about what heaven on earth is. Guess which of these is mine?
The home on wheels is parked next to one of the busiest roads in the county. The road is the hardtop I live half a mile from. Looking in that direction, there's one house in 2.5 miles.

Rain is forecasted for the next 4 days. That includes Saturday and Sunday. Let's hope I have a better reaction to it this weekend than I did last weekend. Like, maybe I can vacuum my floors. My living room rug has a nice coating of brown hair, so thick you can barely tell it's really supposed to be navy blue.

Today I will catalog children's videos for Upper Jay. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (anyone remember them?) and Peppermint Rose (anyone even heard of her? not me). Then I hope to work on a book order. Must order Anderson Cooper's new book. Wait, does he have an old book? I don't think so.

Got car fixed yesterday, all appropriate hatches now reputed to open and close as they should. Nice man Jason at the dealer's told me to either come back within the next 300 miles or not come back at all (only 300 miles left on warranty). He and I have become good friends. I got hysterical waiting for my ride from them at 4 because I thought I had to be there by 5, so I called twice between 4 and 4:30, finally being reassured by New Guy in Service that yes, Rob was on his way in a gold Accord with the sticker still in the window, he just had to pick another customer up who was farther out than they'd thought, and no, I had until 6 to get there (I could hear his eyes rolling as he said all this). After a WHOLE LOT OF EFFORT on my part I managed to make him laugh. It was hard and I had to say "but the the singing man in your message said" about 4 times first. All's well that ends well.

I went to physical therapy and met Jill, my body's therapist. She had a student named Madonna working with her. Yes someone named their daughter Madonna (she seemed very nice and was not wearing cones for a bra). Jill says we will try to strengthen the muscles in my knee and this is not a "no pain no gain" situation. I'm going $120 a month worth for the next 4 weeks. Farewell, last of my tax refund.

Last night was dinner with Ken. We had a long talk about the memorial service he went to earlier this week for his friend who died at the age of 94 (I think this now makes Ken the oldest resident of Black Brook, but I could be wrong). Ken had known Wilfred for 80 or so years and was really upset about the service. It wasn't a funeral, there was no body, Wilfred was cremated ("the first LaHart to be cremated"). Wilfred was never married, thus had no children. His brother's and sister's children were in charge and Ken was sure Wilfred's wishes were not followed. I think I managed to convince him that it was possible Wilfred wanted his ashes scattered over his land. The LaHart farm is legend in this area--it has one of the most beautiful views of Catamount Mountain, is a huge piece of property, and that family struggled and worked incredibly hard over the years to farm it (Ken tells the story of Wilfred's father falling asleep in the field one night while he was plowing, from sheer exhaustion). I told him about my family, about me and my wishes to be cremated and have my ashes mixed with the soil. I reminded him of his friend who wanted his ashes sprinkled on top of Duncan Mountain, so they all went up there on their snowmobiles one beautiful winter day and spread his ashes on the snow in a place he now calls "Nick's Notch" (I said I do NOT want my ashes sprinkled on the snow--he said "What difference does it make?" maybe he has a point. I'd rather have a hole dug and have my ashes dumped into it, though). He just feels strongly that Wilfred was very religious and a memorial service with no body was not what he would have wanted. Well, who knows, but I think I comforted Ken a little. I certainly like the idea of having Wilfred's ashes scattered on that land.

On to the Power Rangers.

2 comments:

  1. write down your wishes. tell Ken to write his down, or dictate them to you and sign them. I have not done this, but I do think it's important. I also think that dead people are dead, and that the whole thing is to help the living deal with mourning, but not even my husband agrees with me on this (he DOES NOT WANT a Catholic ceremony, even though he will not be there). You never know what the relatives are going to come up with, and the only way for Ken to express his wishes after he's dead is in writing now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:16 AM

    You're right, Molly: we always express our wishes as if we were going to be there. I don't really care what happens, but I don't like the thought of my body being preserved, that just seems like a waste of space. What happens to the ashes is up to the people who have to deal with them.

    ReplyDelete